Menu
China Re-entry
Feb 25, 2008 11:24
guestRachel1978 Hello,

Looking for some advice / help on Chinese visas as I am not getting much help from the embassy...

I am travelling to China on March 6th, I have a single entry business visa. I am then flying from Beijing to Bangkok for a holiday. I must return to Beijing to fly back to the UK.

I have booked all flights seperately, plan to leave the airport at Beijing to collect my work things and laptop. Presumably I will need a single tourist visa to enter Beijing this time. Please can anyone let me know if it is possible to:

* get a re-entry permit for China whilst I am there the first time
* get a single entry tourist visa for China in Bangkok

Or is it better for me to just travel with two single entry visas (one business, one tourist)...

Feb 25, 2008 20:37
  • TOMSPENCER
Wow, that's a really tricky question. It is my understanding that re-entry permits cannot be obtained once already in China. At least, not in the way we're talking about here.

It should be possible to get a visa for China whilst in Bangkok, but I can't say for sure. It's possible to get a visa for the mainland in Hong Kong, but unless you're travelling through there on your way back from Bangkok then it probably isn't practical.

Best advice is to phone the visa section of the Chinese consulate / embassy near you and ask them. Two visas might be the way to go.
Feb 27, 2008 10:04
  • APAULT
Yes, you will need a new visa. You should be able to obtain a tourist visa in Bangkok. Visas are never updated or extended in China (tho the word 'extend' is sometimes used).

However, you can apply for a new visa in China. You could visit the local PSB and ask for a DUAL entry tourist visa which would replace your business visa. A single entry would only apply to the current visit - you will see that they mark with a pen thatyou have used the entry. Normal processing is about 4 days but if you pay the fast service fee you can get it within 24 hours. You might prefer to use a travel agent if you have better things to do!

As with all visa applications, there is never a guarantee that they will issue what you are asking for!
Feb 27, 2008 23:39
  • BARONTWANGLE
One thing you won't be able to do is to have 2 visa's in your passport. I tried that trick, and it didn't work. As you already have an existing visa, as soon as you apply for the second one, they will cancel the current one. It will end up being a costly way to store your laptop and work things. If your company will pay for the second visa, then fine, but you might want to look at the option of secure storage at Beijing Airport. The last thing you want to be doing while on holiday is applying for visas. I would be inclined to quickly reapply for a double entry tourist visa, and cancel the existing one.
Feb 28, 2008 03:49
  • BJLEEO
You have two options:
1. have your visa renewed (3 month F with 1 entry, or 6-month F with 1, 2 or multiple entries) through an agent when you are already in China. Then after holiday, you can come back to Beijing by using the renewed visa.
In China mainland, you cannot down grade your visa type - from F visa to L visa. And the entries are more flexible to use, which provide possibilities for your exit and re-entry. There is no limitation of each stay. You don't have to use them up.

2. When you are in Bankok, apply for a new L in the Chinese Embassy/ consulate. With this L, you come back to Beijing.

Pay attention to one thing:
You can NOT have two valid Chinese visa at the same time. It means when you renew or re-apply a visa, the present visa will be cancelled. The only valid visa will be the new one.

Feb 28, 2008 03:54
GUEST19155 Hello,

Thanks for this - where would I find a visa agent in China?
Feb 29, 2008 04:01
  • APAULT
Travel Agents provide this service.

BJLEEO: I have always argued there is no such thing as a renewal. You must apply for a new visa which replaces the previous one. A renewal implies a simpler process such as not having to obtain an invitation for the F visa. Is this just a question of words or do you know of a real renewal?
Mar 9, 2008 20:54
GUEST68135 I am coming to china with L visa which enable me to stay 30 days , but i will need more than 3 month and less than 6 months. with multiple entries
so pls help me with the issue , where , how, and what is the cost of renewing my visa while i am in china?
thanks
Mar 10, 2008 02:14
  • BARONTWANGLE
You won't be able to do it once you have entered China. You can extend your 30 day L visa, but only by a maximum of another 30 days. You don't say which area of China you are going to, but if it is in the south, then your best option is to go to Hong Kong and apply for another 90 day double entry L visa. This can be done on the same day, but costs more than the standard 4 day service. However, cheaper than 3 nights in a HK hotel!

This would give you a total of 4 months with 3 entries.
Mar 21, 2008 11:39
GUEST59176 Hallo,
Please I would like to ask you about the double entry visa to china ( F-visa) .
and we have invitation litter from company in china and this invitation stamped from this company . this enough or must be this invitation stamped from business license, economy and trade contract ( china government).
Mar 24, 2008 02:02
GUESTWAYNE Does anyone know of a travel agent in Bangkok that I can go through when applying for my L visa?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: China Re-entry
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code