Menu
Degradation or Evolution?
Feb 26, 2008 01:04
  • BBQQ
In today's world, the internet has been widely spread. At the same time, it has made a big impact on people in many sectors, for example, language. Many cyber words have been created and become popular, such as MM, GG, JJ, PLMM(PPMM), 3Q and 9494. Do you know what they mean? MM refers to 妹妹. GG and JJ mean 哥哥(brother) and 姐姐(sister). PLMM means 漂亮美眉(beautiful girl). 3Q is abbrevation of 'Thank you'. 9494 stands for ‘就是,就是’.

Actually those cyber words are controversial. Some people think that they are not standard Chinese while others say that they are acceptable. What do you think of those words?
Feb 28, 2008 02:40
  • ZOEY
I don't think those cyber words are the symbol of evolution. They are not standard Chinese. It is reported that a Martian like language has been very popular on the internet. To understand it, you must ask for help from some references. Really absurd!
Feb 28, 2008 21:22
  • TOMSPENCER
My wife gave me cute little key chain a while back, that has a little animal of some sort, wearing a hat and holding a large heart. Instead of words, there are just the following numbers:

5201314 530365

She explained to me how numbers can sometimes be used in place of words since they sound similar, and she even pointed out a few signs around town that use this (the name of a bar, for example).

I know what the numbers mean, now that my wife has explained it, but I wonder if anyone else can figure it out?
Feb 28, 2008 21:51
  • CHERYL
I can only figure out the meaning of '5201314'. It stands for '我爱你一生一世' (I will love you all my life)in Chinese.
Mar 1, 2008 21:23
  • JIMMYB
What does 530365 mean? I guess it should be 520365. It means that“我爱你365天”. Am I right, Tomspencer?
Mar 1, 2008 22:11
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Gee... Those sound like the teenage lingo we used to have back in high school, except that they’re in English. ^_^”

143 = I love you
14344 = I love you very much
14336 = I love you for always
14AA41 = one for all and all for one
HHWW = holding hands while walking

And not so different from the internet lingo such as:

ASL = age sex location
LOL = laughing out loud
GTG = got to go
BRB = be right back
HB = hurry back
TY = thank you

Or some SMS (text messaging) lingo:

L8R = later
CU = see you
XOXO = hugs & kisses
THX = thanks
SWAK = sent with a kiss

By the way, my Chinese friend taught me 88 which means bye bye. ^_^
Mar 3, 2008 21:36
  • KEVIN0518
I have seen LOL many times in this forum. BTW, IMO appears very often too. Does it stand for "In my opinion? Are there any other abbreviations that are frequently used on the forums?
Mar 4, 2008 19:39
  • SHESGOTTOBE
You’re right, Kevin. IMO = in my opinion. Others also use IMHO = in my humble/honest opinion

Some more internet chat lingo:

ASAP = as soon as possible
FWIW = for what it’s worth
FYI = for your information
POV = point of view
ROTFL = rolling on the floor laughing
TBH = to be honest
TPTB = the powers that be
YW = you’re welcome
Mar 4, 2008 20:06
  • KEVIN0518
Thanks, SHESGOTTOBE. Do you know what 沙发 and 顶 mean? They are frequently used on the internet.
Mar 9, 2008 22:20
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Hi Kevin! Ok, I admit I cheated and asked my Chinese friend. Here's what he said. Don't know if something was lost in translation. Nonetheless, it's very interesting. ^_^

沙发 = sofa
do u know forum on the internet, when someone start a topic, others who are interested in the topic many say sofa to reply the topic, it means i m interested in your topic, i would like to sit on the sofa to enjoy it, and sometimes it means nothing, people just like to reply sofa to tell the topic man that he read the the topic, people also like to use the words like 板凳(little chair)

顶 =
it means i agree with u, i m interested in your topic and your opinion, i would like it if your topic could be on the top of the forum list
hmm, go go go? good ? or peak? i m not sure, i dont knwo what u use when u find a good topic and u dont have too much to comment
Mar 10, 2008 22:33
  • KEVIN0518
SHESGOTTOBE, you got it. 顶 means I strongly agree with what you said. For its equivalent in English, I saw some guys here use "up". Danny sometimes reply with "Bump". I wonder if "Bump" has a similar meaning with 顶. BTW, sometimes we say '严重同意' when we agree with sb. These cyber words are really interesting.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Degradation or Evolution?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code