Menu
Bride Price questions
Feb 26, 2008 22:06
  • OGNAT
Help! I have been dating a nice Chinese woman in China. I have had to travel back and forth from the USA. I proposed marriage to her, and now she says there must be a brides price. She is 32, divorced with 8 year old daughter. Bride Price practice was made illegal by Mao in the 1980s. What gives now? Is this for real? Any experience out there?

Feb 26, 2008 22:19
GUEST20266 Not much since damaged goods have very little appeal.
Feb 26, 2008 22:45
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I don't know anything about bride price but calling a divorced woman with a child damaged goods is not very nice.
Feb 27, 2008 00:53
I don't know about bride price, I didn't pay anything, but then my wife is 45.
I agree though damaged goods is not a nice comment.
Feb 27, 2008 03:16
GUEST20266 My bad
Feb 27, 2008 03:24
  • BLUESKY001
Marriage is not a human-trafficking bargain. Although you might have to pay some money for your propal, it doesn't indicate that they your fiancee's parents will sell their daughter.

"What gives now?" Wedding gifts for engagement. The gifts are just symbolic. If your gal loves you, she won't care too much about what gifts you can give her.
Feb 27, 2008 04:03
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Hey whats up,

I am not sure what a bride price really means but if I were to guess its a reverse dowry.

Since I was a kid my mom has always told me that when I am old enough to get married (presumably to a foreign Chinese bride) that I would have to pay a price to the brides mother. As I grew older and now in my very early 20's I see that its a huge part of our customs.

For anyone, I believe its nearly impossible to put a dollar amount to pay a brides mother and to factor in age+status into the final number is a bit messy.

Luckily for me, I wont have to get my hands into that mess because if I get married before I am 30 than my mom handles all the negotiations and exchanging of gifts.

Ognat, you did not mention much about yourself but If your Chinese, than perhaps your mother can do all that work for you. If not than here are a few examples from my own family. My cousin who is 35 from the US married a 32 year old Chinese farmer girl and his mother paid about 3-4K, I cant give an exact number because it was cash+gold. I have another cousin who lives here in the US was proposed to by a guy from China and he paid her mother around 10k, Shes 30, and hes 32.

Hope that helps
Feb 27, 2008 20:40
GUEST44120 hi all, in singapore for guy we paid 4 gold as u will buy 4 gold to her mother, as for cash u have to paid in the door way to take away ur bride
Feb 27, 2008 22:24
  • DREAMLIFE
It is better called betrothal gifts. The Bride Price sounds that you buy your wife not marry her. The betrothal gifts vary from place to place. Usually, three gold goods are musts, including golden earrings, golden necklace and golden finger ring. Guest44120, can you explain what 4 gold are?
Feb 28, 2008 01:50
GUEST21794 sorry dreamlife, i dont soo sure n this what i hear from other ppl, bythway where u from ? china ? or other ?
Jun 22, 2008 22:42
  • OGNAT
Everyone, thank you for your commentaries. I have traveled with my fiancee to her home town. Her mother lives alone in very rude condition, but is supported by several daughters and son in laws. There is only one son in the family. I agreed to pay a brides price of 14000 RMB after marriage in USA. It would help the mother tremendously.

I returned to the USA, my fiancee now wants 5000 RMB for email translations. She speaks simple English and its just fine for me. We do not have in depth conversations about life. She reads English very well. We filled out the forms for fiancee visa with very few problems. I now wait for the finacee visa to process, but this new request for 5000 RMB for email translations is very disturbing to me. She has also requested 2000 RMB for English lessons per month.

I was never asked about the need for translations. I was never informed that I would have to pay for the translations. Apparently she was paying credit for these translations for 10 months? She never told me. Now she ask me to pay the bill. I told her that I would help with the debt after we were married in the USA.

I'd like for the community to give some feed back with this situation. What do you think?

Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Bride Price questions
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code