Menu
Want an obedient spouse?
Feb 27, 2008 01:19
  • KATRINA
Do you want an obedient spouse? I browsed a book review in Newsweek which says:"A new book says you should coach them like animals. "

Here is the first paragraph of the article. That is quite interesting. For more info about the article, you can search the article on the net.

By Jennie Yabroff | NEWSWEEK
Feb 18, 2008 Issue | Updated: 1:32 p.m. ET Feb 9, 2008
Attention, frustrated wives: if you want your husband to start listening to you and stop leaving his socks on the floor, all you need is a little patience and a lot of mackerel. Such is the putative relationship advice of Amy Sutherland, a journalist who spent a year at an animal-trainer school and decided to apply the trainers' techniques to her husband's annoying habits. According to Sutherland, the key to marital bliss is to ignore negative habits and reward positive ones, the same approach animal trainers use to get killer whales to leap from their tanks and elephants to stand on their heads. So to teach her husband, Scott, to stop storming around the house when he couldn't find his keys, she practiced what trainers call Least Reinforcing Scenario, which means she ignored his outbursts, and didn't offer to help with the search. To prevent Scott from hovering over her while she tried to cook, she engineered "incompatible behaviors" by setting a bowl of chips and salsa at the other end of the room. Soon she had a key-finding, salsa-eating mate and, she says, a happier marriage.

Feb 27, 2008 01:26
  • KATRINA
Do you believe that you can coach your spouse to be obedient? Are you willing to be coached like animals by your spouse? Such an experiment is really funny.
Feb 27, 2008 10:49
  • APAULT
If he/she needs changing you shouldn't have got married! Accept each other as they are.
Feb 27, 2008 10:55
  • GRIZ326
I cannot be trained or tamed; just asked the women who tried. :-)
Feb 28, 2008 19:24
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Hohoho! Great news! That means women can now settle for a jerk because they can just train them to be sensitive. What a joke. How did this book even get to printing??? Even psychologists and psychiatrists admit they can’t change people. They can only analyze them.
Mar 1, 2008 19:26
  • ICEBLUE
SHESGOTTOBE,

It might not be good news. I hold the belief that it is better for you to choose the right person to marry rather than choose a flawed unsound jerk to reform after marriage. Many women have failed to reform their husbands. It is a tough project to reform someone's character and habit.
Mar 1, 2008 22:01
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Exactly, Iceblue. I can’t even change myself. Never mind changing men. O_o
Mar 2, 2008 20:19
GUEST3391 If you think you can train your spouse like animals, you are totally wrong. People don't like to be domesticated. Men are especially wild. They don't want to be tamed by their wives. Only those hen-pecked men can accept being tamed.
Mar 11, 2008 20:58
  • RITA
This reminds me of what I read from Little Prince:

"The fox gazed at the little prince,
for a long time.
"Please---tame me!" he said."

I think this is an amazing feeling, when you meet someone you like/ love, you would like to be tamed.

To me, there is nothing wrong to be a little obedient, that is to neglect your own needs for a while and please your loved ones and be happy about it.
Mar 11, 2008 21:36
  • RITA
"To establish ties?"

"Just that," said the fox.
"to me, you are still nothing more than
a little boy who is just like
a hundred thousand other little boys.
And I have no need of you.
And you, on your part, have no need of me.
To you I am nothing more
than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes.
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other.
To me, you will be unique in all the world.
To you, I shall be unique in all the world. . ."

But if you tame me,
it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life.
I shall know the sound of a step that will be
different from all the others.
Mar 11, 2008 21:47
  • BBQQ
Rita, I love reading Little Prince too. When reading that book, I was moved deeply by the fox and the prince. The fox loves the Prince so that it wants to be tamed by him. However, the prince doesn't love him. The rose is what he cares most. Finally, the prince asks the snake to bite him so that he can "return" to his little planet. Very sad.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Want an obedient spouse?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code