Menu
Easter in China
Mar 3, 2008 04:10
  • PETERSEAFORD
will be in China for Easter - yippy hi ho - been waiting for ages to go to China .
will i see the Easter Bunny or does the Great Wall really stop the rabbits ??

is Easter a festival in China ???

what will the weather be like in Beijing on 12th March - thats when i arrive and i can hardly wait

regards to all

peter
Mar 3, 2008 04:39
  • ELLYSE
Look on http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/54511.html and http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:CHXX0008 for Beijing weather forecast.
No, Easter is hardly a festival or holiday here.
Mar 3, 2008 23:55
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Peter,
Glad to hear that you are finally on your countdown. How many more sleeps to go..........

Easter is not recognized by the Chinese government although there will be special services in the Churches for local believers to celebrate.

You may catch a Good Friday, Sunday or Easter Monday service at the BICF as suggested in another thread.

I do have Easter Friday off and will be going to Macau with a friend to experience a Macanese Easter
Mar 5, 2008 02:59
  • PETERSEAFORD
thanks everybody - thanks for this wonderful site - it has enabled me to learn a lot about China and i can hardly wait to enjoy her myself.
i have meet some wonderful persons on this site - they have spent time to assist me and that is really wonderful . Thanks to all - i am meeting some of you when i am in your fantastic country and to this end i have really studied Mandarin and worn my friendship down with our local milk bar owner whom comes from Shanghai. we greet each other each morning in Mandarin and my limited vocabulary has grown a little so now i really want to try it out .

it is amazing to me that although our cultures are so diverse we are all so much alike.

For you Ellese it is a shame that the Great Wall has stopped the Easter Bunny - you would have found much joy in our Easter festival - here in Australia we really enjoy our Chinese Festivals - as a matter of fact in Bendigo we have one of the largest dragons in the world.

i will continue to enjoy this site when i return from China as i already planning a return visit and i will tell you why.

my wife Norma reads a great deal and she was certain that she would not enjoy a visit to China.

lucky for me - her best girlfriend - thought the same as me - wanted to visit your country and as she is a widow is sharing accommodation with me.
Both Fay and i have put in many hours of research for this trip and now my wife realises that China is a place not to be missed.

she enjoys the chatter on this and other sites and has even asked me to invite a young man and his wife from X'ian when visiting Australia to spend the better part of their stay in our home so that we would have the pleasure of showing them our state of Victoria. - language is not really a problem but many use it as an excuse i think.

the people who take the time to understand my questions and answer me are fantastic and the sages like May would be great company if only they would allow me to repay their generosity.

thanks for all your help Frank and all the others that i have not mentioned but they know just what i mean.

thanks one and all --- i love you all

regards peter
Mar 7, 2008 02:43
  • BARONTWANGLE
Peter.

Hope you enjoy your trip. Please don't try to convert any Chinese into celebrating Easter.

The best thing about China is its lack of religion. The last thing it wants is Christian missionaries. Leave the bunny rabbits down under, they will be far happier there.

Thanks.

Mar 7, 2008 09:12
  • ELLYSE
Thanks for feeling sorry for me, but no need to... I don't celebrate Easter as I'm not Christian and have no plans to be either!
Mar 9, 2008 21:59
GUEST66227 We will also be in China on Easter Sunday this year. We will be meeting our new daughter in Guiyang on Easter Sunday. That is enough of an Easter Celebration for me!

John
Mar 10, 2008 01:59
  • BARONTWANGLE
John - sounds great. Wish you all the best. Please don't corrupt your daughter with Christianity. Give her a good life and let her make up her own mind when she is old enough. Have a great trip and a happy Easter.
Mar 11, 2008 13:47
  • PETERSEAFORD
G'day everybody - on my plane later today bound for China.
i am not a missionary and will enjoy the China that i find .
whats wrong with asking about things like customs ??
how was i to know that asking about "easter" was almost taboo??

here in Australia we enjoy the customs of every nation and we are certainly not afraid of religion - that is a free choice matter here .
i do not "feel sorry" for anybody but was trying to say "thank you"

let you know what i think when i get back from my trip of a lifetime.

have a great day

regards peter
Mar 11, 2008 19:00
  • ELLYSE
No, Easter isn't a taboo subject for me. However your comment "For you Ellese it is a shame that the Great Wall has stopped the Easter Bunny" was a little presumptuous, don't you think?
Mar 12, 2008 02:28
  • BARONTWANGLE
Peter.

There is a slight difference between Australia and China. Until 200 years ago, Australia was inhabited by Aborigines. Unfortunately the British then started sending their criminals there, and the place basically became the world's biggest jail. Eventually these criminals and the people whose business it was to look after them (many of whom were Christian missionaries trying to teach those bad boys redemption in God!) eventually stole the land from the people who it rightly belonged to. As a result, Australia now has an immigrant population consisting of many cultures and religions (but mainly Christian).

China on the other hand is certainly does not have an immigrant population, and its roots and culture go back thousands of years (like Australia did before western people erased the history and pretended it never happened - which is why your new Prime Minister has recently made an official apology to the Aborigine people). Therefore, China does not tend to celebrate foreign cultural or religious festivals. Unfortunately (in my opinion) Christmas is becoming more popular in China now, but because of economic reasons rather than religious ones. Very few people understand that Christmas is a religious festival. The government promote it because it provides a welcome boost winter for the retail industry. I have asked many Chinese people if they know what Christmas is a celebration of? Most of them either don't know, of they think it is a celebration of the birth of Santa Claus (seriously!)!

Mao Tse Dong forbid the Chinese to practice religion, and so now anyone in China under the age of 50 has been mainly raised in atheist ways. Hopefully now, you will understand why the Easter Bunny will not be seen hopping along the Great Wall?!

Hope you had a good trip.

Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Easter in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code