Menu
Where did all the birds go?
Mar 9, 2008 18:59
GUESTGUESTASLT If you want to see birds, you go to the rain forest.

last I check Guangzhou remain is a city.

put in the picture, do you go bird-watching to Ontario or Toronto?
Mar 10, 2008 13:36
  • CANADAGUY
>>If you want to see birds, you go to the rain forest.

put in the picture, do you go bird-watching to Ontario or Toronto? <<

I had a good chuckle when I read your reply GuestGuest.

I guess we are lucky over here in Canada. We have an abundance of wildlife, particularly bird life.
And no, Canada doesn't have a rain forest.

As I mentioned in my other post, birds can be readily seen throughout Canada, in the countryside as well as the cities. Even in our biggest cities: Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

There is plenty of green space in our cities for the birds to find food and shelter and we have never had a policy to eradicate them in the past.
I was surprised at the extent to which cities are 'paved over' in China. I visited Guangzhou, Shanghai, Wuhan and Hong Kong and didn't see much green space in any of the cities.

I don't go bird-watching but I do enjoy seeing them in the wild and my backyard too.
The next time I have the opportunity I'll try to take some pics for you.

Mar 10, 2008 14:20
GUESTGUESTPOLO Just a comment on nature of the evidence: The data coming out of these projects has been incorporated into peer-reviewed papers in scientific journals, and the conclusions are incontrovertible: Many species are showing significant downward trends. This is not a case of a few birdwatchers no longer spotting as many birds in places where they are used to seeing them, it is a continent-wide trend that is demonstrated by decades of patient, disciplined data collection. Anecdotal evidence, a few sightings of good numbers of birds here and there, cannot hold against rigorous scientific evidence such as that gathered by BSC. “One swallow does not a summer make”.
As Canadians, we seem to hold the belief that our leaders are wise, and if there is a problem here, the leadership has the resources and the wisdom to acquire good advice and then to take appropriate action. Do you believe that?
The problem is that this country is really owned by its citizens; and the majority of them live in urban areas. The owners cannot see what is happening across the land, so how can they know what they must demand of their leaders?
There is a major cultural situation that acts as a barrier to effective action. European-Canada was founded by people coming here for the rich resources. Fish were plentiful, the farm lands were free, and the forests were endless. Even today, miners talk about their 'right to mine.' Many family histories contain proud tales of 'taming the wilderness' and 'breaking the land.'
That was then.
The new owners -- the current generation -- have to cope with what is left. As owners, we can continue to behave as exploiters. It is time to learn how to behave as stewards. We need to think about what we are leaving for our children. As owners, this is our responsibility.
These are opinions from Canadians in Canada.

I think I ought to believe them instead of you.
Mar 10, 2008 14:49
  • CANADAGUY
Well I have uploaded a few pics to demonstrate the differences in the green spaces of a few cities.

Google Maps is a great resource. You can find a map of just about any place on this earth and zoom in so that you can almost make out your own home!

I'm uploading pics of Guangzhou, Wuhan and Toronto.

I looked at Google maps of Shanghai and Hong Kong and they have more green space than I imagined, particularly Hong Kong.
I guess my visit to these cities was limited to their downtown business cores.

Just a note on Toronto. In 1998 the city was amalgamated. So on the map you will see Toronto, North York, Scarborough, Etobicoke and East York. All of these boroughs now belong to Toronto proper.

The scale of the three maps are pretty close.

Mar 10, 2008 14:51
  • CANADAGUY
Wuhan...

Mar 10, 2008 14:52
  • CANADAGUY
Toronto...

Mar 16, 2008 04:19
  • APAULT
In Gaungdong anything and everything is eaten, if you want to hear a bird sing you put one in a tiny cage.

Actually, you will not here birds in many parts of Australia during the daytime. It is simply too hot. But in the mornings and the veenings, it can be deafening.
Mar 16, 2008 14:05
  • CANADAGUY
>>These are opinions from Canadians in Canada.

I think I ought to believe them instead of you.<<

Hello Guestguest.

I am sorry I didn't see your reply to my post until just now.

I actually agree with most of what was written in your post. I didn't mean to imply that Canada is a paradise for birds and other wildlife.

I was simply stating that from all my personal experience and knowledge that I have accumulated, bird wildlife in Canada
is still thriving for the mostpart.

Sure there are some endangered species and the numbers of birds in the major cities are probably declining due to pollution.

By your closing statement, it wasn't clear as to whether you wrote your entire message or simply
were quoting someone else.

By the way, I am a Canadian living in Canada.

Mar 16, 2008 14:09
  • CANADAGUY
>>In Gaungdong anything and everything is eaten, if you want to hear a bird sing you put one in a tiny cage.<<

Thanks Paul!
Now I must wonder whether those lone chirping sounds I heard early in the morning were from wild birds or someone's caged pets. :)

Apr 10, 2008 19:20
  • CANADAGUY
GUESTGUE...>>If you want to see birds, you go to the rain forest.

put in the picture, do you go bird-watching to Ontario or Toronto? <<

CANADAGUY>I don't go bird-watching but I do enjoy seeing them in the wild and my backyard too.
The next time I have the opportunity I'll try to take some pics for you.<

Well I finally had the opportunity to take some pics of birds in my backyard.
This year has been a special treat as two big birds have decided to make their home on my next door neighbour's property.

They are Canada geese and have taken a fancy to walking around my property as well as another neighbour's.

As you can see from the pics we had snow here as recently as a week ago, but it's pretty much all gone now.

Just so you don't get too alarmed, these are really big birds!
Most of the other birds in our neighbourhood are much smaller.

Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Where did all the birds go?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code