Menu
Why do Chinese husbands fear their wives?
Mar 11, 2008 17:47
  • JCNILE123
Carlos, I hope we are wrong and the display of energy is just that and not a dominance pattern of man against woman in Chinese society.

I cannot agree with the idea that Chinese men fear the Chinese woman, but vise versa.
Mar 11, 2008 20:01
  • SHESGOTTOBE
What kind of a marriage is it where there is fear on either side? Where is the love? Guess I have too much to learn about life. *sigh*
Mar 11, 2008 20:49
  • JIMMYB
"Generally, I (only) think in cultures where it is taught to girls that man is the only head in family, there is more fear for husbands among women."

Carlos, actually many women have become the head of their family. They have the say in their family. Here is a good example: they usually require their husbands to hand in their salaries. Talking about abuses on the streets, I feel ashamed for these men who beat their wives in public. However, some girls also beat their boyfriends or husbands in public too. Once I watched a video on the internet. In that video, the girl slapped the boy and turned about to go. But the boy kneeled down and dragged the girls' leg, not letting her go.

BTW, I wonder if you watch a Korean movie named My Sassy Girl. This movie was once very popular in China. In that movie, the girl abuses her BF by beating him on the subway, letting him wear high heel shoes walking in public etc. Although the movie is exaggerated, it reflects something.
Mar 12, 2008 00:23
  • MARRIE
Guest, do you want to hear Chinese lady’s voice? Chinese men, as little boys, are timelessly being reminded of that creed that study hard, earn more, marry beautiful girl and have son. Chinese parents teach little girls the almost same way with that used in boy except marring beautiful girl and having son, in stead of which is that economically independent after marriage. Marriage involved with fear won’t last long but it doesn’t mean there should be no quarrels with good intentions.

Mar 12, 2008 10:36
  • GARYKINKADE
It's really a sign of weakness of the husband if he is abusive to his wife. He either can't handle social problems (outside the home) or has been subjected to family abuse when a child and has just carried it forward in his married life. Thank you*****Dr. Gary***noted Quack
Mar 12, 2008 19:43
  • SHESGOTTOBE
BTW, I wonder if you watch a Korean movie named My Sassy Girl. This movie was once very popular in China. In that movie, the girl abuses her BF by beating him on the subway, letting him wear high heel shoes walking in public etc. Although the movie is exaggerated, it reflects something.

My Sassy Girl and other Asian movies like it are a mystery to me. If you have been watching a lot of Asian movies, you would notice that the many (not all) girl characters are violent. In cultures where a girl is considered perfect if she is beautiful, innocent, feminine and meek, the movie makers try to create a not so perfect character by making her beautiful yet violent and strong willed. And the story is usually peppered with the demonstrations of the girl’s temper until the story reaches the climax where the girl is finally ‘tamed’. This also applies to movies where a guy is the central character. Meteor Garden is an example where the main male character is very mean, but the girl ends up falling for him. Bad boy syndrome. Makes no sense but hey, it sells and I don’t have a clue why. Why would viewers think it is romantic to beat and be mean to a love interest?
Mar 12, 2008 20:36
  • LEONARDO
Hi Shesgottobe,

I have watched the Korean movie My Sassy Girl. Indeed, it was once very popular in China. IMO, the reason why it is popular is that in Chinese society other Asian countries, it was rare to see that women abuse men. (Most Asian countries have a long history of male dominance, and women are generally in an inferior position). In the movie-making industry, few films touched upon the topic before the release of " My Sassy Girl". After it was released, it was popular with Chinese youngsters, particularly teen girls. In my understanding, the movie shaped a brand-new girl's image(Rebellious, a little vile and untamed) that is quite contradictory to the traditonal Asian girl (meek, submissive and feminine). The new generation of Asian girls want to break the stereotype aoout women's image. This movie caters to these girls.

Meteor Garden is a Pop TV series. The plotline is kind of cliche: bad boy improves his character in order to pursue love. It seems to indicate the power of love. Meteor Garden did sell well. I am not sure why either.

Korean movie : My Sassy Girl

Mar 13, 2008 22:01
  • JIMMYB
Meteor Garden? I haven't watched that TV series and I think I won't watch it.

Well, I prefer a girl who is "beautiful, innocent, feminine and meek". I have no interest in those violent and strong willed beauties because I don't want to be abused. Of course, I wil not abuse my future girl because she is innocent, feminine and meek :-)
Mar 13, 2008 22:18
  • LIONPOWER
Yes, Jimmyb , you are right.
Mar 14, 2008 03:49
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Yo just my 2 cents:

Angry Chinese wives are seriously scary. Such as when my mom is having a bad night and in a really bad mood, My sisters and I head for the Holiday Inn because its just a time bomb waiting to blow up.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why do Chinese husbands fear their wives?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code