Menu
Lining up in an orderly fashion
Mar 26, 2008 03:14
It's not only China where you get pushing and shoving though, I find here in Croydon every night when I get my bus home from work.
Ralph you must be lucky with taxis, I have found them to be very expensive, I agree the Underground ( or Subway ) as you called it is getting
beyond a joke which is a pity because I find it's the best way to get around, thankfully Ken Livingstone has kept the bus fares down.
Alan
Mar 26, 2008 10:19
  • RALPHH
Well Alan, in Dalian our taxis start at RMB 8 for the first kilometre. A half hour + journey to the airport is usually less than RMB 30, say £2. From what I remember of UK one cannot travel very far by 'tube' (di4 tie3 地铁) in London for £2. One zone to the next??

Due to the nature of my work I have lived in many regions. I have found that regions where pushing, shoving, queue jumping etc. are not the norm are very few and far between. At least in China there are many positives to outweigh the negatives. I would far rather be pushed and shoved in China than in Saudi. In fact, on reflection, I would definitely rather be pushed and shoved in China than not pushed and shoved in Saudi. At least in China I can go and drink a few beers afterwards to recover from the trauma.
Mar 26, 2008 11:03
Hi Ralph, I understand now, I didn't realise you are in Dalian, the way I read your post I thought you were here in London.
In London it's depends on the zones, I went from Waterloo to Canary Wharf for £1.50 the other Sunday when I worked a shift at Bear Stearns,
If you travel in Zone 1 to say Zone 3 peak hours it's about £4.00 now ( cheaper using the Oyster card ), on the bus it's £1.00 or 80p standard
fare all Zones using the Oyster card, hence to say I use my trusty Oyster card!
Alan
Mar 26, 2008 11:08
Ralph, I forgot to add, I agree it's worth the shoving if there a few beers at the other end, the bus stop is just past my local boozer ( Horns
Tavern West Norwood ),cheers!
Alan
Mar 26, 2008 12:13
  • GARYKINKADE
After reading these threads, it appears there is no sense of social "etiquette" in over-crowded circumstances. It's a "dog eat dog" situation and may be impossible to avoid. If a person were to be courteous and give others the "benefit " instead of shoving himself, then (he or she) would become immobile. This reminds me of the other thread about being a "scapegoat" and how to handle the situation. Does a person let other people "roll over them" or haul off and "kick butt" ? There are always dire consequences with extremes.
Mar 26, 2008 13:50
  • MARRIE
In Shanghai, public transportation is free those aged 70 or above. And i heard you can watch tv on the bus and GPS equipped shows you where you are.

shanghai transportation network

Mar 26, 2008 13:53
  • MARRIE
bullet train

Mar 26, 2008 17:23
  • RALPHH
Alan,
I had better not tell/remind you how little I have to pay for my beer when I get to the 'pub' or you will be crying in your beer.

Marrie,
I think that in Dalian the age limit for free public transportation is less than 70.

Does the provision TV and GPS locator reduce the pushing and shoving or do people push and shove even harder to get a good view of them??? :-)
Mar 26, 2008 21:38
  • JIMMYB
"After reading these threads, it appears there is no sense of social "etiquette" in over-crowded circumstances. It's a "dog eat dog" situation and may be impossible to avoid. If a person were to be courteous and give others the "benefit " instead of shoving himself, then (he or she) would become immobile. "

Gary, you are right. If you were courteous in that situation, you would definitely become immobile. If all the other people jump queue and you jus perform courteously to queue, you will be regared as a fool. Once I did this and other people just stared me strangely. They thought that how foolish I was.

Ralphh and Marrie, actually the public transportation is free for these senior citizens, the disabled or retired soldiers.
Mar 27, 2008 02:36
Ralph, no need to remind me about the cheap beer, I'm still cursing I'm back here in " Blighty"
As for free Travel, it's from the age of 60 here, but only after 9.00 AM, only 3 years to go before I get my freedom pass, not that it will make
much difference as I start work at 6.00 AM, doh!
Alan
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Lining up in an orderly fashion
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code