Menu
Lining up in an orderly fashion
Mar 31, 2008 12:17
  • RALPHH
JimmyB, you are lucky to be able to wait for a bus that is not full. I have a friend who lives in Sanlitun and the buses from there to Beijing centre and back all seem to be full up from early morning to quite late at night, as are the buses and trams on most of the routes in Dalian.
Mar 31, 2008 19:52
  • JIMMYB
Ralphh, living in big cities has many disadvantages, much pressure from working and living, inconvenient transportation, a huge quantity of population etc. These are what we have sufftered. I am lucky that I didn't live in a big city.
Apr 1, 2008 06:26
  • BARONTWANGLE
Ralph, thanks for pointing out my error - I did mean "relative". Sorry to cause any confusion there. You mention the taxis in Guangzhou.... You are right, there isn't a shortage of them, however, they all seem to be occupied when you want one, and all empty when you don't. The other day I waited 25 minutes on the Zhong Shan Road at 4pm for a vacant taxi, before deciding it was probably quicker to walk.

And yes it does now cost about £70 to fill up your car with fuel in the UK. Probably just one of the reasons neither you or I are live there anymore.

Anyway, stop missing your family, and come back to China. No amount of money is worth being so far away from the people you want to be close to.

Apr 1, 2008 16:01
  • RALPHH
Yes you are absolutely right of course but at least I was able to negotiate a limit of a maximum of two thirteen week tours with a home leave in between.
The ability to spend quite some time each day chatting with our 'webcams' on also helps.
Hopefully the visa situation at my next location will be better, as it was when we were able to spend 7 months together on the Mekong delta prior to this trip.
A little time apart now will be worth it if we are able to achieve our aim of travelling slowly throughout each of the Chinese provinces after I retire, fairly soon.
Lower berth ‘yingwo’ where possible :-)
Page 4 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Lining up in an orderly fashion
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code