Menu
What is the difference between 合适,适合 and 适宜?
Mar 25, 2008 02:06
guestChinese Can anybody explain the difference between 合适,适合 and 适宜?To my understanding, they all have a meaning of suitable or appropriate. However, some people told me that actually there were some subtle differences between. What is the difference? How should I use them correctly?
Mar 25, 2008 08:09
  • FAIRME
That is really a hard question anyway as it is quite difficult to tell the difference in english...
I will initially place them into 3 different chinese sentence, see if you could get it clear.
1. 这个房子(多我来说)很合适。
2. 这个房子很适合我。
3. 这个房子适宜我居住。
They have their own different usages in a sentence while delivering the exactly same meaning.
Mar 25, 2008 11:35
  • CLAUDIUS
In simple terms,

合适 - compatible (usually used for 2 of more objects or person, including oneself i.e. the 2 colours used for the house are compatible)
适合 - suit (usually used for one main object or person, onto another. i.e. the colour of the house suits its sourrounding scenary)
适宜 - suitable / suitability
Mar 25, 2008 22:14
  • BBQQ
Hey, Guest. Better understand the differences in sentences as FAIRME wrote. Here are another three examples:

No.1 你觉得我俩合适不?

No.2 这条连衣裙适合我穿。

No.3 这里环境优雅, 适宜居住。

The first sentence is a bit difficult to understand. In English, it means" do you think we are compatible or do we match together?"

Mar 26, 2008 01:45
合适 is adjetive, means suitable, so u can say 这件衣服很合适, but we chinese just use it with 很 as predicate in a sentence.
适合 is verb, means suit 这件衣服适合我
适宜 is adjective, means suitable as well,not only use it with 很as predicate but also can use it before verb, such as 这儿很安静, 适宜居住
Post a Reply to: What is the difference between 合适,适合 and 适宜?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code