Menu
For a beginner, Chinese and English ,which is harder to learn?
Mar 25, 2008 21:41
  • LLYNN
Many Chinese students complain that English is so hard and many think English has been a big burden for them;while for non-Chinese they also consider Chinese a difficult language, especially the ancient Chinese language. Which one do you think is more difficult? and how many years spent can one really master a foreign language?
Apr 1, 2008 11:20
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
Chinese is more difficult because the writing system is difficult to master. When learning English in an English-speaking country, for example, you can easily catch new words while walking down the street and looking at signs after you master your ABCs. One simply cannot do this in China.
Apr 1, 2008 11:43
  • CLAUDIUS
For listening and speaking, Mandarin is easier. For writing, English is easier as the Chinese Language is based on symbols. Actually, I think it largely depends on our Mother Tongue.

Likewise when I learn Bahasa Melayu (Malay language) which written language is based on pronounciation, I pick up it much faster than when I was learning Japanese, a language based on both symbol and pronounciation. You need a lot more memory power to learn symbols.
Apr 9, 2008 03:03
  • JUNELI
chinese is one of the most difficult language in the world. as i know, the others are arabian and russian.
have you ever heard a joke.
a man with fair hair and blue eyes born in china and grow in china
but anyway, he looks like a foreigner
some chinese ask him"can you speak english?"
he hit his leg and said:"靠,英语!太TMD难学了!"
: )
Apr 10, 2008 16:14
  • GRIZ326
Chinese is very difficult. The characters only have hints at proper pronunciation so memorization is necessary. Pinyin provides pronunciation but does not communicate to a large percentage of older Chinese people.

When learning Chinese a person is really learning to read, write and pronounce Pinyin; read and write characters so that they can say they speak Chinese. Tough duty.
Post a Reply to: For a beginner, Chinese and English ,which is harder to learn?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code