Menu
New to this forum so I am iutroducing myself
Mar 26, 2008 14:37
  • YENJAMES
Hi everyone, just dropping buy and intoducing myself since I am new to this forum. My name is James and I will be moving to Guangzhou in April. I am an aircraft inspector and will be working at Gameco. My wife is from Indonesia so this is a good move for us since we will be close to my inlaws who will be able to see their 1st grandson who is 16 months old more often. We hope to make new friends and are looking forward to a couple of wonderful years in China. Thanks!
Mar 26, 2008 18:08
  • RALPHH
Hi James, Ni3 Hao3.

If when you get to Guangzhou you see a long line of Chinese people waiting patiently for a bus be sure to tell BARONTWANGLE.

You should be ok for friends, if the first guys you meet are not so friendly you have got another 1.3 billion to choose from.
Mar 27, 2008 06:29
  • YENJAMES
Thank you for your reply. I see after perusing around the forum that most of the people here have a great although sarcastic sense of humour...lol Maybe since most are teachers that is just the overall attitude (which is great I am a bit on the sarcastic side also...lol) but I still find everyone for the most part friendly and informative. Well looking forward to posting more and getting to know all of you.
Mar 29, 2008 07:04
  • APAULT
Welcome James and family. You are right that we do have a sense of humour (and please note the correct spelling everyone!) and are not past making a friendlly dig at our fellow contributors.

You said you are an aircraft inspector. Now I am worried about flying, I thought planes were safe but if they need inspecting I am not so sure I should fly any more.

I am within a 'bus race' ** of Guangzhou, so maybe we can meet up for a beer, or if that s forbidden to persons in such responsible positions as yours, you can have tea while I drink beer :)

** bus race... this is my description of the trip to Gz from Zengcheng. There are about a dozen competing buses along this road. They are clearly franchisees or on a percentage of the takings. After a pick up, they race to get ahead of the bus in front so as to be able to get to any passengers at the next stop. It is interesting to observe the tactics as the pull in ahead of anotehr bus so preventing it from leaving. It's fun for people for whom Formula 1 and the Dakar rally have become boring! Hey, you wanna visit me??????????
Mar 29, 2008 10:05
  • JCNILE123
Welcome James and family!
Mar 29, 2008 20:16
  • FRENCHGIRL
Welcome Yenjames.

Ralphh, I just wanted to show you this picture . It was in Guangzhou, on a place in front of the China Hotel, and that's where I saw it for the first time: Chinese people waiting in line for the bus!!! It was so amazing I took the picture, knowing deep inside it would be useful someday. And this is the day!

Mar 30, 2008 00:21
  • JING1229
i am sure that was not the case once the bus actually arrived... i am willing to bet that picture was taken at least 30 min prior to arrival
Mar 30, 2008 06:27
  • CLAUDIUS
Hahahaha Jing is funny!

There have been recent campaigns to educate the folks in beijing and shenyang (Liao Ning) to queue up for boarding. In Shanghai, the folks riding on some routes are horrifying, especially for those buses with lines starting/ending in the city centre. There is simply no way for passengers to alight as both the front and middle doors are filled up to a level of a stampede. In general, the younger folks are more organised and less aggressive. Sometimes you just have to wonder why all these splendidly dressed folks with permed hair will need to elbow one another for a seat. I bet when someone in the crowd shout 'Spartans...CHARGE!!!', it wouldn't sound strange and out of place at all.
Mar 31, 2008 10:05
Welcome James, I envy you, I loved my stay in Guangzhou, I look forward to reading your posts and hope you enjoy the humour.
Alan
Mar 31, 2008 23:23
  • YENJAMES
Thank you everyone for your warm welcome. We are looking forward to our stay in China and of course our commutes back and forth to Indonesia. I had a good laugh at the queue up posts, funny last time I was in S.E. Asia I had to fight my way on (and off) a moving bus...LOL All of you are great and yes APAULT we can meet up for a beer after work hours because we all know only pilots are allowed to drink on duty...LOL
Apr 19, 2008 11:37
  • YENJAMES
Sorry I haven't been online in awhile it has been a busy month getting ready for this move. My wife and son are already in Jakarta staying with her family till I get us settled in. I will be leaving on the 22nd only to hit the ground running with a two week training class starting on the 25th...aduh(indo for ouch..lol). We will be living in Huadu to avoid the hour commute from Guangzhou to the airport. From what I gather Huadu looks like a nice area, any thoughts or ojt...lol
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: New to this forum so I am iutroducing myself
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code