Menu
Do Chinese kids have a balanced diet?
Mar 27, 2008 04:43
guestwannaknowchina Obesity troubles thousands of parents in the developed countries. Does China have the same problem? How about the diet for Chinese kids? Are all the Chinese kids well fed? My grandpa told me that China had a huge population. Many kids are under-nourished? It was the situation my grandpa told several years ago? How is the situation now?
Mar 27, 2008 05:19
  • RALPHH
Better than at the time of the 'three natural disasters'.

A fair percentage of todays kids in the north east are overweight, especially the girls in their teens.
Mar 27, 2008 06:40
  • MAY001
It's not an easy thing to make everyone well fed in this country cos there are tooooooo many people.
Many are overweight, but many are under-nourished.
Mar 27, 2008 11:03
  • GRIZ326
The children I've seen in China appear to be well fed. The appearance of American-style fast food joints is a threat to good nourishment.
Mar 27, 2008 17:41
  • GARYKINKADE
It's my understanding that China and Japan do not have an obesity problem as of yet, but as was mentioned , the fast food industry may change that.
Mar 27, 2008 20:46
  • CANADAGUY
Yes I agree with Griz and Gary's assessment of the situation.

It's one thing to be influenced by Western-style restaurants and food choices. It's quite another to choose the worst possible of these influences (fast/junk foods).

But the smoking problem in China should probably be a more urgent health concern.
Mar 27, 2008 21:25
  • LEONARDO
China’s situation is complicated. Obesity and undernourishment coexist in China. It reminds me of a scene in TV news that a bunch of kids in the remote rural areas in southern part of Guizhou Province were skinny and pale. They were obviously undernourished. IMHO, most foreign guests came to China to be impressed with the dazzling prosperity. The kids you have seen are mostly from relatively well-off families in China’s metropolises. They are no doubt well-fed. My intention is not to make you disillusioned with China. In good conscience, I love this land of great potential in earnest. Indeed China has been doing a great job although it still has numerous problems. Since Premier Wen Jiabao took office, he has taken a lot of measures to lessen the burden on Chinese farmers: scrapping the agricultural tax, implementing nine-year free education and setting up rural health care in rural areas, etc. All these measures are of great benefits to farmers. What I am talking is not to flatter any officials. My father is a farmer himself. He told me that “it is unbelievable that the government can scrap the Agricultural Tax, which has existed in China for more than 2,000 years. In the vicissitude of Chinese history, no dynasty has ever abandoned the Agricultural Tax. It has been a big stride the current administration has taken.” Sorry, I went too far beyond the topic. My point is we have to immerse ourselves in the whole spectrum of a society in order to fully understand its people and culture. Take some time to hike in the countryside will enrich your vision.

Hi May001,
The baby is so cute!
Mar 27, 2008 22:26
  • GRIZ326
Good post Leonardo. You may have stretched the topic a bit, but your post is relevant.

I have never seen malnourished children in China - but I know there are hungry children. There are hungry children in the USA too, but mostly because of uneducated parents rather than a lack of food or money. We actually have fat people here who are medically malnourished because they eat junk rather than good foods.

IMO, China is doing a good job in solving its problems; my country could learn a thing or two about serving the people from the Chinese leadership. My hope is that China continues to "make energetic progress in the good." (an English translation from the Book of Changes)
Mar 28, 2008 06:31
  • RALPHH
LEONARDO, would you consider, Heilongjiang, Hailin to be far enough into the countryside.

I spent spring festival at the home of a family who's breadwinners work at the Fuxing grain store.

To me, going to the toilet in a small wooden shack when the temperature is minus 30 or below is not an issue.

I may live in Dalian but I also spend time in far remoter parts of china.

Please do not assume that all foreigners in China have never been out of Beijing or Shanghai.

The kids from the north east that I spoke about were from Hailin, there are very few 'relatively well-off families' up there.
Mar 29, 2008 11:23
  • JCNILE123
China continues to be a very poor country for the many, specially in the countryside, poor people in China which is a very large segment of the population have a very poor diet, however, China's people have a propensity to follow western trends ones they have the opportunity, that is junk food.
Mar 30, 2008 20:57
  • LEONARDO
To RALPHH,
Quote:
>>LEONARDO, would you consider, Heilongjiang, Hailin to be far enough into the countryside.
"Please do not assume that all foreigners in China have never been out of Beijing or Shanghai.<<

Ralph, you wronged me. I have never assumed that "ALL foreigners have never been out of Beijing or Shanghai". Here is my statement in the my previous post: " most foreign guests came to China to be impressed with the dazzling prosperity." 'Most" is different from " ALL". I admit that where you travelled mirrors the scene of China's romote countryside to a a certain extent. So you do not belong to the " Most" I referred to.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do Chinese kids have a balanced diet?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code