Menu
Next stop: Urumqi
Apr 8, 2008 10:39
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
I've always wanted to go to west China, particularly Xinjiang. I love Xinjiang food (yang rou chuan, anyone?) and the culture seems to be very different. Does anyone know where I should start? What's the best way to get there and where should I go?
Apr 8, 2008 22:53
  • LEONARDO
I recommend Turpan. The Flaming Mountain is wortth visting. The Flaming Mountain made a name by the household-name Journey To the West. The raisin and honeysweet melon in Turpan are well-known around China.
Apr 9, 2008 00:05
  • ELLYSE
Kashgar, Hotan, Karakul Lake, Karakoram Highway, Kanas/Hanas Lake, Turpan, Urumqi... in order of preference.
Best way to get there from where? General answer: train if you have the time, flight if you have the money.
Apr 15, 2008 02:10
  • LEON8ME
Hello ELLYSE, Are travel permits required for laowai wishing to visit the TianShan area ? My dream is to be able to see a snow leopard, in the natural environment. Is this still possible, or is it fantasy ?
Apr 15, 2008 10:27
  • ELLYSE
Tianshan area? Not usually, I don't think so. Depends on which part of the mountain range you mean!
Don't think it's feasible to see what you're dreaming of.
Cheers!
Apr 15, 2008 11:24
  • LEON8ME
Hi ELLYSE, CHEERS to you too ! Thanks for the reply. I've read your postings on the tripadvisor.com site, as well as those on this site, thus I appreciate your knowledge of the area. I would want to get pretty far up into the mountains, above treeline, into the snow. I definitely want to be nowhere near the gold-mining areas ! Yeah, it's probably not realistic, but I am stubborn, and I will hold on to my dream. Have you read the book : "The Snow Leopard" by Peter Matthiessen ?
Apr 15, 2008 23:34
  • ELLYSE
Nope, sorry.
Actually, you might want to post your question on the Lonely Planet's ThornTree forum, North-East Asia branch (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=19) branch instead. There're a few Xinjiang tour agents on that forum who usually do provide good information about the province.
Thanks for the compliments though.
Post a Reply to: Next stop: Urumqi
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code