Menu
Weekend getaway
Jan 26, 2005 13:20
  • NEWBIRD
Hi everyone. Anybody can suggest some weekend getaways? is hebei or tianjin a good place to visit?
Jan 26, 2005 14:36
  • KINGDEE
hi !

Chengde in Hebei province is one of good choices for your weekend. You may visit the Mountain Resort of Chengde , which was once the royal summer resort. The palace compound now served as a small museum where visitors can learn more about Chinese history and architecture style.

Chengde 2-days

Saturday:
Take train or drive from Beijng to Chengde(about 6 hours).
visit Mountain Resort of Chengde (Chengde Bi Shu Shan Zhuang) in the afternoon.
Sunday:
Visit Putuo Zongcheng Temple (people call it a small Potala Palace) and Puning Temple in the morning.
Take train or drive back to Beijing in the afternoon

Have a good time!
Jan 26, 2005 14:57
  • JASMINEFONG
HI, Newbird!

Which kind of spots r u interested?
I wonder if you have ever heard Yungang Caves in Datong? Along with Mogao Caves and Longmen Caves, it is one of China's largest grottoes and world famous treasure house of arts and culture. It locates in Datong, Shanxi province,not far from Beijing. I think it's worth trying.

Jasmine
Jan 26, 2005 22:51
  • NEWBIRD
Thanks guys and gals. :)

Seems that this Chengde Mountain Resort is a must visit.. came across it a couple of times. I also heard that snow skiing in famous in Hebei. I just had my maiden skiing experience 3 days ago at Beijing Snow World Ski Park (http://xsjski.com/) and found it to be really fun.

Hmm.. I cant say I have heard of Yungang Caves. But I will read up on it.

Is there somewhere scenic where I can visit.. to see mountains and lakes? I guess I had too much city life. And is Beijing going to snow again? :( I arrived on the 6th of Jan, the day after it stopped snowing in Beijing.
Jan 27, 2005 10:24
  • DEE0228
How about go to Mt. Wutai in Shanxi, you may enjoy both scenic view and the culture of buddhism.

ps, it won't snow in Beijing in the latter days.
Post a Reply to: Weekend getaway
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code