Menu
Confucius VS Santa Claus
Apr 14, 2008 03:06
  • LEONARDO
Confucius Vs Santa Claus, who will win?

You may watch a series of fierce match, but you may never expect to watch a duel between Confucius and Santa Claus.
This is not a boxing match, but it can be as fierce as it is. In nature, the duet is duet between traditional Chinese culture and the imported Western culture.

Perhaps, you are questioning if I am so creative to arrage a duet between the two cultural ambassadors of the East and the West. Confucius, the old sage, is reputed as the representative of traditional Chinese culture; while Santa Claus is the symbol of Western culture.

On March 4 2208, a conflict happened between Confucius and Santa Claus. In a Kindergarten in Yuzhong Township, Chongqing, a teacher who teach kids traditional Chinese classic hung a coloured portrait of Conficius on the Blackboard and asked the small kids: “ everyone, can you twell me who he is on the blackboard?” The kids curiously stared at the portrait and hesitated for a while, then all 30 kids answered: “ Santa Claus”loudly (in Chinese 圣诞老人). Coincidentally, several teachers and school authority figures listerned to the class at the back of the classroom. The lecturer and other teachers felt astonished at the scene.
When the media reported the news, a nation-wide debate was sparkled. On the internet, netizens’opinion was quite divided. A portion of netizens insisted that it is unbelievable that kids mistaken Confucius as Santa Claus.Cultural conservatives said that it was an alarming message that the traditional Chinese culture is endangered. They thought that kids can’t recogonise Confucius. It was acceptable. “The key question is that they bear “Santa Claus” in their minds.” “The small case reflects the decline of traditional Chinese culture. Western culture and value are invading traditional Chinese culture. It is an alarming signal.”

On the other hand, liberal netizens argued that Confucius has been a past icon. Confucianism was rooted in the soil of feudal China.Confucianism has been largely negated in the period of May Fourth Movement (五四运动)in 1919.Additionally, there d was no authentic portrait of Confucius that has been passed down. Even some scholars who undertand well the Confucianism still can not recognize Confucius.Last, Confucianism’s masterpieces such as Analects of Confucius 《论语》 《Confucius' Spring and Autumn Annals》《春秋》are too profound, subtle, obscure and allusive. It has little significance in such a fast-paced society that much importance was attached to the utility and pragmatism.

So, my dear friends both from China and abroad, what is your understanding of the issue? If you are a foreigner, one day, the kids (or your own kids) in your country tell you “it is Confucius”when you offer them a portrait of Santa Claus or Jesus Christ, what will you think about? If you are a Chinese national, how should China import western culture while retain its cultural identity. It is a duet between Confucius and Santa Claus? Who do you think will win?

Apr 14, 2008 03:53
  • JUNELI
good topic...
never image that kind of PK~~~
but i think they could not PK, because they can not have same standard
culture is something with no reason, no doubt
you can not say it's right or not
just like 1 chair + 1 dog = ?
when i study English, i never ask question
every language has own grammar, why, because they speak that way, no reason
culture is the same
what you can do is to respect other's culture
AND
i believe culture aggression is more than A-bomb
Apr 14, 2008 11:40
  • GRIZ326
I hope Confucius wins the hearts & minds of the young people. If Santa Claus wins China will be in a world of hurt! Santa Claus is a destructive force.
Apr 14, 2008 11:55
  • MARRIE
''Confucius'' means follow the rule set up by the ruling - class. Under this doctrine, we chinese are described as like A+ plus SHEEP. good or bad.
Apr 14, 2008 12:18
  • JCNILE123
To Marrie, thank you, thank you, thank you,
For good or for worse, Confucius as a thinker encourages the masses to follow.

Santa is just a children's story; please, boys and girls know this, there is not a Santa Claus.
Apr 14, 2008 22:22
  • SUMMERSNOW
Interesting duel!
I hope the old sage (Confucius) will win the duel. Though Confucianism contains feudal ideology, some of the thoughts that confucianism advocates can still exert positive influence on the current Chinese people. For example, filial piety and repecting the teachers are "cherished merits".
Apr 15, 2008 04:47
GUEST5363 Ha ha! I am thinking how to formulate a set of rules to assure a "Fair Play". Why should Confucius PK Santa Claus? Can't they coexist? Kids can't recognise Confucius does not necessarily mean that traditional Chinese culture has declined. Confucius is an ancient figure who lived 2,500 years ago. Most of the contemporary Chinese do not meet the historical figure. The portrait itself is questionable and even might be fake. It is reasonable that kids can not recognise someone who lived in an ancient epoch. This is my one cent.
Apr 22, 2008 05:01
GUEST6219 Confucius is an intelligent sage. Santa Claus is only like a superficial pop star who knows how to please the ignorant kids.
Apr 22, 2008 05:31
Confucius was for real but Santa thought he had a claus in his contract, he he
Alan
Apr 26, 2008 12:13
GUEST61033 That's a funny topic!!! hahha~~~
May 27, 2008 18:24
  • YINDUFFY
Popular culture will dominate unless the children's parents guide them. Many parents are wary of what TV shows their children watch because of the undue influence of the medium.
Good parents will see that their children have some religious training to help them through life. Children are very impressionable and it is the parents responsibility to guide them.
The CCP has in the past done a lot to try to eradicate many traditions. I am glad to see formal recognition of festivals and local traditions, even clothing styles!
I have no fear that Chinese culture will remain distinct. No one need fear Santa Claus.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Confucius VS Santa Claus
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code