Menu
Testosterone 'aids trader success'
Apr 16, 2008 03:03
  • JIMMYB
Source: PA News

High testosterone levels may help City traders make more money, researchers think.
Scientists from Cambridge University's Physiology, Development and Neuroscience department analysed 17 London traders over eight days.

Results suggested that high testosterone levels increased men's confidence and appetite for risk.

"Our work suggests that these decisions may be biased by emotional and hormonal factors that have not so far been considered in any detail," said Professor Joe Herbert.
"Any theory of financial decision-making in the highly demanding environment of market trading now needs to take these hormonal changes into account."

These news feeds are provided by an independent third party and Channel 4 is not responsible or liable to you for the same.

Do you believe the result of this research?

Apr 17, 2008 05:29
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
<<Results suggested that high testosterone levels increased men's confidence and appetite for risk.>>

Based on the statement above, the title (first sentence) is quite misleading. High testosterone levels lead to confidence and an appetite for risk? Yes! Does it lead to success? Not necessarily.

Some related thoughts:

1.) Since men have more testosterone than women, does this mean men in general have better business instincts than women (at least on the trading floors).
2.) Perhaps, being aggressive helps one succeed on the trading floors. High testosterone usually means more aggression. To follow the same line of thinking, they should have identified common observable characteristics in the men who had both high testosterone levels and success on the trading floors.
3.) What about confident women who take risks? Do they have higher levels of the hormone?

Lots of questions to ask. I hope I designed the study myself. =P
Apr 18, 2008 03:49
  • YVONNE
"1.) Since men have more testosterone than women, does this mean men in general have better business instincts than women (at least on the trading floors)."

Well, actually men indeed have better business instincts than women. Haven't you noticed that there are more businessmen than business women?

"2.) Perhaps, being aggressive helps one succeed on the trading floors."

Agree! You must harden your heart as well as being smart because doing Business is like fighting a Battle. If others didn't lose, then it would be you.

"3.) What about confident women who take risks? Do they have higher levels of the hormone?"

I have no idea about this question.

Apr 18, 2008 19:59
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
<<"3.) What about confident women who take risks? Do they have higher levels of the hormone?"

I have no idea about this question. >>

Hi Yvonne. With 'hormone', I was referring to testosterone. Do you think confident, risk-taking women have higher levels of testosterone compared to most women?
May 4, 2008 21:13
  • YVONNE
"Hi Yvonne. With 'hormone', I was referring to testosterone. Do you think confident, risk-taking women have higher levels of testosterone compared to most women?"

Perhaps, MUDDIEDKNEES. According to the research, we should have more male staff in the stock exchange. But what if their testosterone levels are too high? Will they make wrong decision?
May 4, 2008 21:55
  • MARRIE
Stock broker in exchg or high level traders in OTC, i think, are dominated by men who have relatively supeiror brain power and energy. I guess this occupation, specifically for those work in floor, has a short career life. In all, it's a looking forward stuff requiring more hormone and aggressiveness than looking backward job -- accounting which, however, is also dominated by males who are conservative and look boring.
Post a Reply to: Testosterone 'aids trader success'
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code