Menu
Ten Reasons Why China Matters to You
Apr 18, 2008 02:08
  • LEONARDO
American weekly magazine 《Good》published an article “Ten Reasons Why China Matters To You” on April 10,2008. The article was written by Thomas P.M. Barnett who is a well-known American strategic planner, military geostrategist and a New York Times-bestselling author. “The Pentagon’s Map” is one of his representative works. He has ever worked in the American National Security Affairs since the end of Cold War.

He has ever been to China and delivered a speech at Peking University in 2006. The interesting points I found in his article is that he put forward the concept of “ Panda huggers Vs Panda Sluggers debate”. He listed ten reasons why China matters. It is interesting to read. Herein, I extract the ten general reasons to share with you guys. For full text, please visit the website of “ Good” weekly magazine and give full attribution to the author.
Apr 18, 2008 02:44
  • LEONARDO
Source: http://www.goodmagazine.com/section/Features/10_nixon_china

Why China Matters #10
Because Nixon went to China and your world was born.
Because China may be an ancient civilization, but it’s a young society that’s growing up very quickly and unevenly.

Because China’s transformation echoes much of America’s past, not only the good, but plenty of the bad, and the ugly too.

Because China’s rapid and deep integration into manufacturing means that Chinese products permeate your life –at some risk.

Because China’s demand for resources is altering global markets in ways both profound and perverse.

Because the panda “huggers” versus “sluggers” debate is a lot of hot air -- until Washington scares Beijing into raising your morgate interest rate five points overnight.

Because as China builds out its infrastructure, it can set a good or a bad example to developing economies struggling to dealing with fragile environments.

Because China is globalization’s general contractor: always happy to take the job and your money, but hard to get on the phone once you discover problems.

Because China will not be our biggest future enemy but our ally.

Because we are less than five years from a new generation of Chinese leaders with whom a far stronger relationship may well be built.

Apr 21, 2008 03:47
GUEST1227 I read about his article. Thomas P.M. Barnett claimed himself to be a "Panda Hugger". I am in doubt of his stance on China issue.
May 8, 2008 11:35
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
Interesting! Thanks for sharing, Leonardo.
May 9, 2008 09:43
  • DODGER
Leonardo,
It may just be the case that the US is finally waking up to the fact that it is not the only country on the planet.
Thanks for the article.
Dodger.
May 9, 2008 22:28
  • JCNILE123
And the #11 and more important to me is that now I’m married to a beautiful Chinese.
Post a Reply to: Ten Reasons Why China Matters to You
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code