Menu
New visa requirements
Apr 27, 2008 11:49
  • JARCHACK
I have noticed that both prices and requirements for visas have changed since last year. Apparently, US citizens must have proof of round trip tickets in order to get a visa. I don't have a problem with this except last year I ended up canceling a couple of return flights and it was very expensive. I do not know how long I will stay this time (especially if I end up working there) and it would be easier for me to just get a one way ticket at this point. Can I do this? Thanks!
Apr 27, 2008 13:49
  • ELLYSE
Apparently not, if you're travelling anytime before the Olympics. Travellers are reporting that they not only need round-trip tickets but also accommodation bookings, some for the entire duration of their trip!
Suggest that you start reading the 2 URLs below for some current information.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1585596
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1589843
Apr 27, 2008 14:15
  • JARCHACK
I see that even though I will not be in Beijing, visas have many more restrictions than before. It would be impossible to get hotel reservations for my whole stay because I am not sure where I will be, Yichang, Wuhan or maybe Changsha. I suppose I can reserve a hotel for a week, reschedule the return flight and just wing it. I know the PSB gets really funny about this kind of stuff.
Apr 27, 2008 20:24
  • JARCHACK
Some visa agencies say that a letter from a family member or friend will suffice. I will be staying with a friend's family. I'm wondering if a letter from them would work instead of a hotel reservation.
Apr 28, 2008 03:56
  • APAULT
At this point, there is little 'case history'. All we can say is you should contact the visa offisa and ask them. That is not binding but should be free. Then, if it seems you have a 'goer' apply and will probably be ok.

Please post your experiences here for the benefit of others.
Apr 28, 2008 04:31
  • JARCHACK
I will do that. I am not sure about the office that issues visa but many things vary from province to province.
Apr 29, 2008 21:03
  • JARCHACK
I have not sent in the paperwork yet but was told by a very large visa intermediary that a plane ticket (one way or round trip) and the address and phone number of the family I am staying with is all I will need. However, in section 5 on the visa application, I must write the
following sentence and sign at the end: "I certify that I will stay at the above address during my visit to China."
May 1, 2008 20:29
  • DAN0321
I am going to apply for a visa in the next few days, my fiance has her interview june 3rd, from what I have read it seems like she just needs to fax me hotel reservations, I would hate to pay for flights then not get visa.
May 1, 2008 21:49
  • JARCHACK
That's the part I don't get. It's a $1000 ticket and if for some reason the visa falls through it won't be easy getting a refund for a discount ticket.
May 2, 2008 11:15
  • DAN0321
the cheapest tickets i can find with united $1858 from my home town
May 2, 2008 11:41
  • JARCHACK
$1858? Ouch, I am farther from Beijing that any city could be, CLE in Ohio and I've seen round trip tickets as low as $960. Some tricks to use... look early on Wed. morning, airline ticket databases flush unused tickets at midnight on Tues. Use vayama.com, lowest prices anywhere. Try to find a flight less than 3 weeks away, as they do anything to fill seats including dropping prices. Fly on a Tues. or Wed.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: New visa requirements
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code