Menu
What is this stuff?
Apr 28, 2008 17:54
  • GRIZ326
My gal had a box of these cans during Spring Festival. It is a nifty little can and comes with a spoon. The stuff inside is dark purple. It is the consistency of what we call Jello in the USA. The dark purple stuff had a slight flavor of plums, but I thought that my gal told me that is was made from turtles. ???

Apr 28, 2008 17:55
  • GRIZ326
So here are the ingredients on the side of the can......

:-)

Apr 28, 2008 18:00
  • GRIZ326
Ooooophs! The contact info, not the ingredients - sorry.
Apr 28, 2008 21:17
  • BBQQ
Griz, it has shown the ingredients: water, white sugar, guilinggao (medicinal drinks made from turtle shell and China root) and honey. It is strange that there is no Chinese character on the can. After googling, I found out that it was Guilinggao can. In Chinese, it is called 龟苓膏罐头 (Gui 1 Ling 2 Gao 1 Guan 4 Tou 2).
Apr 28, 2008 22:21
  • MARRIE
Griz, it's tonic for men? In traditional chinese medicine theory, it's not applicable to hot nature of body just like Jingseng from ChangBai Mountain for cool nature of body not for hot nature of body.
Apr 29, 2008 09:47
  • GRIZ326
It's a tonic for men? You mean to make them hotter with their wife and girlfriend at play time? I wonder what my gal was thinking? *hehehehe*

I see that it is also thought to be good for the skin.

Guīlínggāo (Chinese: 龜苓膏) is a Chinese medicine that is made with three-lined box turtles (金錢龜) and China roots (土伏苓). It is also used as a dessert, made in form of a jelly.

There is an interesting language lesson in this thread for me.... Once I have the characters translated to Pinyin I can look up the words up on the web. I really need to learn to use a Chinese dictionary!
Post a Reply to: What is this stuff?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code