Menu
Conscription law in your country
May 9, 2008 03:01
guestvolunteer What about the ‘conscription law” in your country? I mean do you have to serve in the armed forces in your country? Is it compulsory or voluntary? In Korea, every male is required to serve in the armed forces. Do you receive military training at high school or university? I saw Chinese students have military training at high school or college. What about the situation in your country?
May 9, 2008 09:34
  • DODGER
Guest,
I for one am completely against any form of compulsory conscription in any shape or form.
If you live in a society that you think is worth saving then by all mean go ahead and join your respective armed forces. The well connected and wealthy with the most to loose don’t ever get called up anyway.
Dodger.
May 9, 2008 10:54
  • GRIZ326
While I largely agree with DODGER's cynical view, I am a strong believer in conscription to government service.

The USA no longer drafts young people, military service is voluntary.

My reason is simple: I've noticed that the boys who served in the military - even in peace time - grow into more steadfast men in adulthood.
May 22, 2008 19:49
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
<<<I for one am completely against any form of compulsory conscription in any shape or form.>>>

Is that why they call you "dodger"? =)

============================

In general, I think some form of military training is good. However, war-time conscription, as Dodger pointed out, is normally ineffective and unfair. If you can't get enough volunteers or can't afford a professional (i.e. paid) army, then don't go to war.
May 22, 2008 22:34
  • DODGER
Strangely enough M I volunteered.
Dodger.
Jun 2, 2008 20:27
  • LEONARDO
In China, military training is a compulsory course for college students. China has compulsory conscription law. Service to the country is every citizen's duty. I support conscription law.
Jun 6, 2008 19:24
  • YINDUFFY
Leonardo,
China does require military training but only two weeks worth while in High School. Service in the actual Army, Navy or Air Force is high honor and they are very selective. Many more wish to join than are accepted. Being in the PLA has always been considered a good job even though it may be harsh at times.
China does not "conscript" anyone. Conscription is what some may call a draft or compulsary military service. Two weeks in a local training site hardy qualifies.
Even the "Armed Police" is considered a good job and not everyone who wants to serve can.
The United States has not had a draft or conscription for any Armed Service since 1973.
Post a Reply to: Conscription law in your country
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code