Menu
Earthquake in Chongqing Municipality
May 12, 2008 02:46
  • JABAROOTOO
At 3.30pm today the earth began to shake.............
I was having a rest and first the bed began to shake gently. this is not unusual with a lot of heavy traffic past my back door everyday and the blasting on constructions sites but this increased until the boxes on top of my wardrobe began to shake.

I got up to have a look outside from my balcony. Buy now the floor was moving enough to convince me that I needed to get out of the building.

I quickly checked what I was wearing, grabbed my key, slipped into my thongs and was heading down the stairs with another elderly couple who were wakened from an afternoon nap.

Other residents already downstairs were hurrying away from the buildings. Looking up we could see them shaking and debris and dust was falling.
Several men were trying to push the gates to the street open -these are padlocked for security reasons but cannot be opened in a hurry.

I climbed over the six foot fence wearing a sarong wrap but the elderly and those with babies could only wait until the metal gave way on one of the bolts on the pair of gates.

No serious damage, a few first time experiences for some. this was my second earthquake and subsequent tremors. That first one was back in the early eighties in the Los Angeles region of California.

It was an eerie experience then as it was again today.

Included is a photo after I went back inside to get a drink, my mobile, change my clothes.

May 12, 2008 02:54
  • WCTMAN
At about 2:30 PM today, Xi'An also shook. I was having a snooze when I awoke to what was at first a gentle shake, much like when a loaded dumptruck passes by the building. But, the shake continued to increase, and when things began to fall off my bookcase, I realized we were having an earthquake. The tremor may have lasted 10 to 15 seconds, I really don't know. First time for me.
May 12, 2008 03:05
  • SGAYIWU
about 3:30pm Changzhou (in southen of Jiangsu, about 150km away from Shanghai) also shook about 5 min. .what is happen?
May 12, 2008 03:13
GUEST42228 ya ,around 2.30pm zhengzhou city henan province also shook hardly..................too
May 12, 2008 03:17
  • KJ12358
Beijing also has some feels.
May 12, 2008 04:24
  • MILLERRALF
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080512/ts_nm/china_quake_dc
I'm in HuaHuiYuen(flower park) JiangBei in ChongQing city. the above link is to news story by 4:30pm. I had just returned home for a late lunch at 3:30 and I barely had time to close the door when the shaking began. I grabbed my keys and headed downstairs(from the 5th floor) and outside. The sidewalks were already full of people. Nobody's mobile phone was working, so I thought it best to get to my daughter at her pre-school about 0.5 km away. I finally reached my wife in ShaPingBa and of course the "floor was shaking" there as well. She told me the local news was trying to predict aftershocks at 4;30 and 11:30 tonight. Yeah, right.
May 12, 2008 06:05
  • JSUMMERS83
I am absolutely amazed that Beijing felt this earthquake...the epicenter was over 1000km away!
May 12, 2008 07:55
GUEST31158 What about Nanning? Any reports of damage or injury there?
May 12, 2008 08:04
  • JABAROOTOO
Sorry.
The time was 2.30pm

We have been asked to vacate our buildings from between 10.00 and 12.00pm tonight. Expecting another quake or aftershock.

Epicentre close to Chengdu
May 12, 2008 08:04
  • JCNILE123
Jaba,
Glad you are ok.
I pray for God's Mercy on difficult times.
May 12, 2008 08:19
GUEST19430 The state run media has told that the chance of the aftershock is small.stay in where u r and find some soft stuff to protect ur head once the earthquake happen again.

local chongqing
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Earthquake in Chongqing Municipality
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code