Menu
Earthquake in Chongqing Municipality
May 13, 2008 10:23
  • JABAROOTOO
Peter,
The best thing to do is make donationsThey are going to need a lot of financial support to feed and shelter and rebuilt.

Chinese rescue workers are having difficulty getting and official statements make it clear that the Government, while grateful for the offers to assist, are unlikely to allow outside emergency workers into already logistically challenge situations.

May 13, 2008 19:27
  • CANADAGUY
My heart goes out to all those touched directly and indirectly by this catastrophic event.
It is a tragedy indeed. I hope aid is brought quickly to those in greatest need.
May 13, 2008 19:45
  • LEMONCACTUS
Donations information here for Chinese nationals, foreigners in China, and overseas people wanting to donate:

Account name: Red Cross Society of China
开户单位:中国红十字会总会

For those who want to donate in RMB: you can send money to the RMB account at the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China branch below:
人民币开户行: 中国工商银行 北京分行东四南支行
人民币账号: 0200001009014413252

For those who want to donate in foreign currency, you can send money to the foreign currency account at the CITIC Bank branch below:
外币开户行:中信银行酒仙桥支行
外币账号: 7112111482600000209

Hotline: (8610) 65139999
Online donations: Red Cross Society of China website: www.redcross.org.cn
Click the tab for online donations

LC
May 13, 2008 20:38
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Good news: Pandas are safe. ^_^

Bad news: Body count is over 12,000 now. :-(
May 13, 2008 23:03
GUESTJIMMY07 Really horrible! When the earthquake happened, I was watching TV program lying in the bed. Suddenly, I felt that the bed was shaking. Strange! There was only one (me) in the house and I didn't move. Then I realized that there was something wrong. When I was trying to stand on the floor, I found that the house was shaking and I couldn't stand stably. At the moment, I was scared too much because I was in the sixth floor. If the apartment collapsed, I would die. Luckily, it ended in about one minute and my house was safe. Then I wore my clothes and shoes and went down stairs. About 10 meters to my apartment, I saw many people standing there and talking about the earthquake. When I calmed down, I went outside my community. In the green belt of the road, many people were standing there. I guess that they escaped from the 20-floor building opposite of the road. Talking with a guy standing beside me, I knew that a destructive earthquake happened in Wenchuan in Sichuan Province. However, I was in Xi’an, far from Wenchuan. The earthquake was really horrible.

Then I tried to call my dad and mom to see if they were ok. More frustratedly, I couldn’t get through and it was cut off automatically. Without other ways, I was trying to send a text message. About 7 minutes later, it was sent off successfully. Several minutes later, I received a message from my dad, which said that they were safe. Good news! My cellphone rang again. I saw there was a new message from my friend. He said that he had heard there was an earthquake and wanted to know if I was safe. To be honest, I was deeply moved by him. Someone remembered me! Since his parents were also in Baoji, he asked me if Baoji was seriously affected by the earthquake. I told him that it was not because my dad told me that they were safe. Suddenly, I remembered that one of my friends was spending his holiday in Chongqin. I tried many times to call him, send him short messages but failed. I didn’t know what happened to China Mobile. About 5o’clock in the afternoon, I eventually contacted him. He told me that he was at Jiefangbei (解放碑) when the earthquake happened. He told me that he didn’t what happened and just saw that many people rushing out of the tall buildings. Then he realized that something happened. Finally, he knew that it was the earthquake. Luckily, he didn’t get hurt. By the way, he told me that he once tried calling me several times but failed. Nearly seven o’clock, I tried to call a friend but failed. I found that sending short messages was ok but I couldn’t make a telephone.

May 13, 2008 23:04
GUESTJIMMY07 Since my colleague and I didn’t know if the earthquake would happen again, we didn’t want to go home too early. Then we decide to visit Big Goose Pagoda Square. On the bus, we saw several people carrying their beddings. When the bus arrived at Big Goose Pagoda, they got off with us together. Then we realized that they wanted to sleep at the square. Arriving at the south square, we found that many people were dancing there. It seemed that they were not shocked by the earthquake. After spending near two hours at the square, we decided to go back. On the way home, we saw some people sleeping beside the road. They must be scared by the earthquake as us. Getting back home, I didn’t go to sleep because some guys said the earthquake might happen from 22 to 2 at night. However, I was really sleepy and fell into sleep around 24 o’clock. Around 4:20, my roommate woke me up and said that the earthquake happened. Then I felt that the bed was shaking. When we decided to escape, it stopped shaking. Thus, we didn’t go out but kept awake. Maybe, we were too tired. We fell asleep again. Luckily, the earthquake didn’t happen again.

To be honest, it was my first experience of the earthquake since I was born. When I was young, my parents told me something about the Tangshan earthquake. At that time, I had no idea about the earthquake and just listened to it as a story. After experiencing the earthquake, I did have some idea about the earthquake. Really horrible!
May 14, 2008 20:06
  • SHESGOTTOBE
That’s a great personal account of your experience, GuestJim. Your description of your surroundings and your feelings at that time made me feel like I was there, too. I hope there’s not a lot of damage in Xi’an. Hope it’s not closed to visitors. Seems like Chengdu will be out of commission for months considering all those damaged roads. Guess I have to write off Chengdu for this year. Oh well, at least Xi’an should be ok. ^_^
May 15, 2008 07:25
It's a great tragedy all round, I'm greatly saddened by the pictures I am seeing on the news, I hope the death toll grows no larger and that the people can begin to restore their lives.
Alan
May 20, 2008 20:06
  • JIMMYB
Alan, we all wish that the death toll could stop growing. However, it is reported that 40075 people have lost their lives in the earthquake. As a Chinese, I felt heart-broken when hearing the news. It is a terrible disaster but I believe that we will conquer it.
May 21, 2008 20:14
  • LEONARDO
I was in Chongqing on May 12. Since I was sitting at the square, I didn't feel the shake. Later, I perceive that there is a pervading sense of disaster among the pedestrians.
Page 4 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Earthquake in Chongqing Municipality
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code