Menu
Earthquake in Chongqing Municipality
May 12, 2008 17:28
  • DODGER
I was having lunch when the lamp above the table started swinging. My wifes friend said it was an earth quake. I thought she was joking....but no joke.
Glad to hear that Jab is OK.
Dodger.
May 12, 2008 18:58
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi Jabarootoo,

Very glad that you're OK, I did think of you in Chongqing when I heard the news.

My thoughts are with all the people and the rescuers now in the area, the death toll stands at around 10,000 this morning.
May 12, 2008 19:35
  • MARRIE
Hello, Jab. Glad to hear you are safe. We overseas Chinese are beginning to do donations.
May 12, 2008 20:24
  • SHESGOTTOBE
OMG! I couldn’t help but cry when I saw images of children under the rubble. :-(

I heard 80% of buildings in one county collapsed and the body count is now around 10,000. Are there TCG members around who lives in hard-hit areas? I hope you are all safe out there! Since it happened in Chengdu, are the pandas doing ok? I wonder how they react to earthquakes.

It’s a relief to know you are safe, Jabarootoo! I haven't followed anything about China today except this tragic news.
May 13, 2008 00:16
  • JABAROOTOO
Fortunately Wenchuan County and surrounding areas, those worst hit are not densely populated but the timing was critical.

Between two and two thirty every afternoon students and workers return to classrooms or work after the lunchtime siesta and so the majority of people were inside.

However, mid afternoon in early summer is a better time than midnight for something like this to happen. Yesterday here in Chongqing was a beautiful clear, blue sky day bordering on HOT with a clear night and half moon but this morning dawned cool and dull in significant contrast and strangely in keeping with the sombre mood of today's search and recovery work.

Adding to the problems is the likely hood of increasing rain in the worst affected areas. These areas are subject to constant landslides which close roads under rather normal circumstances and now that power supply and telecommunications have improved, more reports are coming in of other school building collapses with considerable if not total loss of life.

Things are pretty well back to normal here in CQ although a lot of people slept out last night like so many in the Chengdu area.

I slept soundly after feeling another minor tremor at midnight but I had a bag packed, ready to run out the door if I should be woken in the night. Prepared as I was, I wonder it there would be time to evacuate if another stronger quake had hit closer to CQ. A building can collapse in less than two minutes and that's not very long.

When I returned from my morning classes I spoke to three young girls playing in our garden, asking if they had been school today. Thier reply, implied that teachers had told them that thier school was not safe.

Every new and non traditional building in China is made of concrete. These regions are not particularly quake prone so buildings are not necessarily very quake proof either. Often schools are quickly and shoddily constructed but so close to the epicentre there is little chance they would withstand one of this magnitude however well they were built.

Interesting about the frogs and no other alert by seismologist. Animals always pick up on these things but their strange behaviour also goes unnoticed.
May 13, 2008 02:37
GUESTBETHBECK Hi Penny, Harvey checked this morning after i said it was close to you. stay safe love you thinking of all your students and families, be carefull. beth
May 13, 2008 02:58
GUEST99221 Hello Julia
Heard about the earth quake in ChongQing. Hope and pray you are OK.
Call me on Skype.
Suresh
May 13, 2008 06:00
  • PETERSEAFORD
what can we in australia do to help - i am praying but wonder if there is a fund that i could contribute to .

wish i was there to help in some little way.

from our tv reports i thank God for the PLA - on the ground and straight ino action.

peter
May 13, 2008 10:12
  • JABAROOTOO
This photo taken about 45 mins after the quake. I had ventured back into my apartment to change and get my valuables and something to drink.

You can see some of the debris that fell from our building. Nothing too serious but it didn't look so good at the time.

May 13, 2008 10:17
  • JABAROOTOO
Photo taken three hours after the quake on the pavement outside one of our premier Shopping Malls in Jiangbei's Yang Guang Cheng

Notice the size of the pavers that have been pushed up.

I've been watching some of the local TV stations and the footage is coming through show some severely damaged roads around Wenchuan. Completely impassable to any thing but pedestrian traffic for the time being and lots of very large rock falls.

Page 3 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Earthquake in Chongqing Municipality
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code