Menu
Bathing after giving birth
Sep 29, 2010 21:01
GUEST49077
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST56464 View Post

THIS IS 2009 AND MY SISTER IN LAW IS CHINESE AND HAD C SECTION AND REFUSED TO BATHE FOR 30 DAYS AFTER HER BABY. I AM A NURSE AND EVEN CALLED THE MD AND HAD NURSE TELL HER THAT SHE COULD SHOWER AND SHE REFUSED TO TAKE A SHOWER. BY THE GRACE OF GOD, SHE IS FINE , NO INFECTION. ALSO SHE DOES NOT GO UP OR DOWN STAIRS, MY BROTHER IS BRINGINGHER ...

i believe dat is very disgusting to not shower for 30 days horrible wit all dat blood coming out.. nasty
Sep 29, 2010 21:03
GUEST49077 i believe is nasty not to sure after birth omg with all the blood we loose after birt hello dat down there smells!!! i had 5 kids and i shower everyday single day after birth and FYI im puertorican descendent i really believe to shower everyday is important!!
Dec 13, 2010 06:02
GUEST10213 The idea behind not showering for 1 month after giving birth is to prevent the development of aches, pains & sickness as you grow older...I guess kind of like arthritis. Just because you can't shower doesn't mean you can't wipe yourself down with a wash cloth (as do many patients in hospitals who require bed baths because they're immobile). They don't really smell up the house. There are also restrictions on what you can eat; however, I've never heard ANYTHING about only eating pourridge. That's just silly. I personally wouldn't be able to handle not showering for that long; however, people of Asian descent have done this for a long time and believe it has preventative effects. Just because it's a different culture doesn't mean it's wrong. Likewise, they think you're crazy for showering because you're risking your health for 1 month's comfort.
Dec 13, 2010 20:30
GUEST7646 Chinese women are different from western women. I mean organic difference. To be simple, western women are stronger than Chinese women. Chinese women need some time to recover after giving birth and they also need to care about their babies. If they do not recover very well after giving birth, they may suffer some kind illness in the future. It is true.
Jan 19, 2011 23:10
GUEST15346 Keeping an open mind here....I've heard too from a doctor friend that specializes in diseases and it was her speculation, whether the Chinese knew it or not, that this custom is like a vaccine for the baby. The mother accrues various pathogens, from the lack of washing, which the baby may ingest along with the mothers milk. She said the milk works in neutralizing the ingested pathogens within the babies body and helps to "program" the baby's immune system. Again, her speculation and being as objective about the custom as she can. Sounds pretty neat to me if that is true.
Jan 23, 2011 17:25
  • ISHIKAWA
Just look at older women from well to do families and the peasants in China and you can tell the difference whether bathing after giving birth makes any difference. It has nothing to do with superstition but everything to do with women's health. Arthritus is one of the major problems in later life if they don't follow the tradition.
Mar 21, 2011 10:04
GUESTJOIE After giving birth, chinese women does clean themselves.They boil water with the skin of a lot of peeled ginger together and use that hot water to clean themselves.The skin of the ginger will get the the "wind" out the body.They even wash with that "hot ginger water" theirs hairs.Its not that they don't shower or bath themselves for a month =)
Jun 3, 2011 17:38
GUEST64191 I have a friend who is pregnant right now and told me about this practice. She tells me that she fully plans on following it because chinese women who do it have better long term health than women who don't. She is allowed to sponge bathe though. My friend lives here in the states and has since she was in 2nd grade, but she says this is a practice that is still very popular in China. I don't see the harm in it. You learn something new everyday.
Jul 6, 2011 00:24
GUEST39194 I just gave birth to my 1st child on july 3rd. My mom is Cambodian/Chinese and this is all i hear from her. She was taught these chinese traditions with the whole "no bathing, eating only soup and porridge, ginger water, ginger tea" I like to believe I have become very knowledgable on what to do post pardum pregnancy and how to take care of my body. My mother told me about how Arthritis is very common "back in the day" I respect what she has to say but in Modern American practices, even my doctors say every woman is different and every pregnancy for even the same woman is different. I have also learned that when it comes to breast feeding, it is not what you eat that helps you produce more breast milk. It is supply and demand, when you allow your body and mind to intertwine emotionally with breast feeding your baby you produce more milk. Even in the few days I have been breast feeding, I notice when I was stressed out from hearing all the things my mom had to say, my breast milk was not coming. When I was able to have alone time or when she wasn't visiting me at the time, my milk came and I even leaked. This is all from my personal experience and honestly I would feel a lot cleaner at least taking a few showers a week. Not the extreme of no showers for a month. Stay clean and stay healthy!!
Nov 3, 2011 10:40
GUEST91490 Actually this is true, My parents are from the island and after giving birth we do not use the shower. I am on my third child and follow this practice. Instead we boil hot water with castor leaves let it warm and shower with that by let letting air inside the shower. We use the leaves to pat our backs and our stomach so all the blood clot etc will come out and also to fatten our stomach. For one whole one we do warm sit baths with the leaves to get down there back to normal only at night time, and we stay away from cold things, and night I drink ginger tea to cure inside of my body. It have done wanders for me. But we do take a bath but different. After one month we then take regular showers. That's our culture it's not for everybody. Don't like it don't do it.
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Bathing after giving birth
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code