Menu
Hangzhou & Suzhou
May 19, 2008 00:37
guestAyyad Hey,

My friend and I are planning to visit Shanghai in June and i heard that Hangzhou and Suzhou are good places to go to since they are close to Shanghai...

My questions are:
How long should it take for site seeing and general tourism in those cities?
How late do the trains run from those cities back to Shanghai? ( i want to make sure that i don't get stuck in those cities when i have a perfectly good hotel room in Shanghai)
If my friend and I do not know any Chinese... can we still get by in those 2 cities? or should we take costly tours ($150 at least) that pick us up in Shanghai and takes us through those cities and back to shanghai??

Thank you,
May 19, 2008 03:25
  • ELLYSE
I'm not a fan of Suzhou. 1-2 days would be enough.
On the other hand, Hangzhou is one of my favourites. 1.5-3 days would be the usual.
Returning to Shanghai, the last decent trains leave Hangzhou main train station at 2041 (D672), Hangzhou East train station at 2128 (T798), and Suzhou train station at 2151 (D449).
Yes, you can get by without knowing Chinese.
May 21, 2008 23:53
  • HKDOLLAR
How about the distance? An hour?
Jun 1, 2008 00:50
  • JASONSZ
Shanghai Railway Station to Suzhou: 40mins by train.
Shanghai Railway South Station to Hangzhou: 1.5hrs by train.
Jun 9, 2008 04:08
GUEST27162 Shanghai Railway Station to Suzhou: 40mins by train.
Shanghai Railway South Station to Hangzhou: 1.5hrs by train.

very right ,I Hangzhou people
Jun 9, 2008 07:25
  • ALICIAYIYI
I am from Suzhou, if you come to visit Suzhou, you can't miss the gardens.
Jun 9, 2008 21:24
  • ELLYSE
And you can't miss paying for them, either...!
Jun 14, 2008 01:12
GUEST11190 Hi,

I am planning to these 2 places too.

We intend to leave Shanghai in the morning, bus or train to Suzhou, spend the day there and leave for HANGZHOU. In Suzhou, we will like to take the boat trip(since it is the Venice of the East) and my questions are:

a) Is there any day boat trips ?

b) The guidebooks all recommemended the night boat trip but a whole day day in Suzhou waiting for the night trip is too long for us, so we thought of the overnight canal trip to Hanzhou, so that we can be there early the next day. Anyone know if this night river trip to Hangzhou include any sight-seeing routes or covers the Suzhou night cruise ?

c) What are the not-to-missed gardens or sights in Suzhou ? Since they are are payables and gardens, we cannot afford all, so thought just choose 2 or 3, which will you suggest ?

d) How much time is required to visit West Lake in Hanzhou ? Is one morning enough ?
Jun 17, 2008 12:28
  • ELLYSE
a) Yes, but not my cup of tea and I don't bother recommending them. I suspect you'll find that they don't live up to your expectations.
b) The overnight ferries are no longer running anyway, so this question is redundant.
c) For gardens, I prefer Master-of Nets Garden and Lion Grove. For other sights, Coiled Gate, Tiger Hill, Suzhou Museum (this is free but closed on Mondays), Guanqian Jie pedestrian street (also free), Shantang Jie pedestrian street (also free).
d) Depends on yourself. If you just want a taster, I suppose it's fine.
Jun 18, 2008 05:45
GUEST01124 Hi,

What are the not-to-miss visits or things to do in Hangzhou beside the West Lake ?

What is the minimum time required to visit West Lake with a boat ride ?

Is that place with the "tsunami" waves worth a vist ? Is it happening everyday or only around full moon day ?

Thank you.
Jun 18, 2008 05:48
GUEST01124 Which is the better option to travel from Suzhou to Hangzhou ? By bus or train ? Which has better sight-seeings ?

If I have to choose either one place to spend overnight, which is better and where to go during the night ?

Thank you.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Hangzhou & Suzhou
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code