Menu
Should the employees who didn't donate to the quake-hit areas be fired?
May 23, 2008 02:39
  • SUMMERSNOW
Recently, a copy of hand-written instruction authored by the Chairman of Board of Shenzhou Computer Corporation buzzed on the internet. In the instruction, the Chairman of Board, Wu Haijun condemned the employees who made no donations to those suffered in the quake-hit areas. He regarded those who didn’t donate as “ ruthless and cold-blooded”. He also said to his employees: “if you don’t donate, then get out of my company”.

Once the news spread through the internet, Chinese netizens have a hot debate. Some netizens said that donation is of a matter of individuals and the employers should not interfere in the employees’ personal affairs. Nevertheless, others said the chairman was doing the right thing.

What’s your opinion? Should the employees who didn’t donate to the quake-hit areas be fired?

May 23, 2008 03:35
  • FYM0321
Donation is of a matter of individuals and the employers should not interfere in the employees’ personal affairs. But,if you are a chinese ,you should do something for quake-hit.
May 23, 2008 05:03
  • JSUMMERS83
That's a very good question, I think. I've been wrestling with this idea for the past day now. The problem to me is the fact that these donations are made publicly. Although that probably produces higher donations from people who don't want to be seen as unpatriotic or stingy, it also has a negative effect such as this. People SHOULD give, but if an how much seems like a more personal issue to me.
May 23, 2008 11:16
  • JABAROOTOO
How does this employer know whether of not his staff have given donations?

I was asked by my employers if I wanted to make a 'tax free' donation from my salary with a combined collection from our school. Or I could place a cash donation in the box but they would like to know the amount to add to the total. Accountability was the reason.

My response was to thank them for letting me know these options and I told them I have other avenues for donating and left it at that.

Everyone in China also has more than one option available to them for making donations. At least let them choose, if, when, where and how much of a donation they can give.

If people wish to make a public show.......................then let them!

If people do not wish to make a public show ............then let's respect them!

May 23, 2008 17:09
  • DAVEC
I made a donation when I was in China although I never felt pressured to do so. My hotel put up a sign saying they were taking donations, I asked what it said and decided to do my little bit.
Personally it is up to the individual, to give or not is up to them.
May 23, 2008 20:10
  • LEMONCACTUS
Jabarootoo, That was my first response too, how does the employer know the employee hasn't donated by some other method ?

I absolutely think donations should be voluntary, isn't that an intrinsic part of the meaning of the word?

How can we judge a person on whether or not they donate money and how much? I find this a ridiculous notion, which really debases the idea of donating money.

If this letter is genuine... I feel sorry for the employees.
May 23, 2008 21:23
  • JABAROOTOO
Just another thought on interfering employers etc.

Sichuan has the largest number per capita of transient workers dispersed throughout China. It is possible then for many people around the nation to have friends or family who have been injured or worst still lost their lives. In which case they would be far better off using their often rather megre salaries to help out on a more personal level.

China's current society has a choice!!!!!!!!!

In fact the overall mood of giving both within and without China has been overwhelming but this is going to be a long road to recovery and donations will need to be coming in for quite some time to come.
May 23, 2008 21:25
  • JABAROOTOO
AND not to mention the 5 million plus who have lost their homes
May 24, 2008 03:30
  • JSUMMERS83
I think you bring up a good point about how an employer is aware of donations elsewhere, but my wife and I were left with very little choice where we're at. All schools in the small city we live in have posted the names of all employees and the exact amount we gave on the internet. I'm not very excited about that, but that's the way it is. Being two out of 4 foreigners living in this city, we tend to stand out. We really didn't want to take the risk of being seen as stingy and uncaring, but to be quite honest we wanted to donate through other channels.

But as you mentioned, help is going to be needed for a lot longer than the next month, so maybe we'll be able to find a better place to give at a time when we've saved more to do so.
May 25, 2008 22:07
  • LEONARDO
How does the employer know whether or not his staff have given donations?

The first line of the instruction reads " 要求张榜公布(yāo qiú zhāng bǎng gōng bù)". (The donation list will be released by the Board of the Directors). The chairman of the Board of Hasee requires his employees to donate some money. The company collected the donation and then delivered to the people in quake-hit area.
May 27, 2008 10:43
  • GRIZ326
I appreciate the sentiment of this employer, however, it is not a donation if the contribution is mandatory.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Should the employees who didn't donate to the quake-hit areas be fired?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code