Menu
If you were him, what would you do?
May 29, 2008 03:06
  • LEOPOLD219
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 8 vote(s)
  2. 2 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
If you were him, what would you do?
Suppose you are giving a class to your students, suddenly the earthquake happened, what would you do as a teacher, escaping alone or helping your students evacuate?

When the most destructive earthquake attacked Wenchuan, Fan Meizhong, a Chinese teacher, rushed out for surviving, leaving his students in the classroom. After the earthquake, his students asked him: “Teacher, why didn’t you bring us to evacuate when the earthquake happened?” He answered: “I am not a brave man who can sacrifice himself to save others’ lives. I only care about my life. Don’t you know? ...” Again, he said to a student who felt disappointed toward him: “I am a man who seeks justice and freedom, but not a man who sacrifice himself for others. In this emergent situation, I can only sacrifice for my daughter. For any other people, even my mom, I won’t sacrifice because I can’t take an adult out of a room. If it is too dangerous, I have no reason to die with you all. If there is no danger, you are safe and I don’t need to take care of you let alone you are all 17 or 18 years old.”

If you were him, what would you do, helping your students evacuate or escape alone? What do you think of his behavior? Was he wrong?

May 29, 2008 12:22
  • GRIZ326
You ask a difficult question, Leopold219.

Was he wrong to save himself? Had he saved himself rather than his own daughter this would be an easy question to answer.

Most people like to imagine they have the courage to do heroic deeds; few do. This man will live with the memories of his actions for the rest of his days. If there is shame, then he will have to bear it.

I did find this comment enlightening: “I am a man who seeks justice and freedom, but not a man who sacrifice himself for others." Justice and freedom come only to those willing to bravely accept the sacrifices required to secure justice and freedom.
May 29, 2008 22:00
  • KEVIN0518
To survive is men's basic instinct. In that destructive earthquake, he left his students and rushed out to survive. It was understandable. However, his speech after the earthquake suggested that he was a selfish man who had very low moral states. How could such a man be a teacher? Just think about some other teachers, such as Tan Qianqiu, Yan Rong and Xiang Qian, they all sacrificed their lives to save their students. Really shame on him.
Jun 1, 2008 20:51
  • CHERRY07
Kevin, it is said that Fan Meizhong has been sacked. That's what he deserves. I wouldn't condemn that he left his students in the classroom and escaped. However, what he said after the earthquake really disappointed me.
Jun 2, 2008 21:18
  • SHESGOTTOBE
In short, just do it but don’t talk about it?
Jun 2, 2008 21:39
  • JIMMYB
Hehe, interesting. Some netizens even said that they felt sad for Fan's wife. How could she marry such a coward? However, Fan's wife didn't think so. She said:" every man has his/her shortcomings. When I decided to marry him, I am prepared to accept his shortcomings. Of course, I am not perfect too. I can understand that why he said he only sacrificed for his daughter because he loves her deeply. The only thing I can't accept is that he said that he wouldn't save his mom." Fan's wife finally said that people needn't be sympatheic with her and she wouldn't accept the sympathy.

What do you think of her words?
Jun 2, 2008 21:47
  • KEVIN0518
"In short, just do it but don’t talk about it?"

SHESGOTTOBE, it is understandable that Fan escaped from the classroom for surviving. But he was not a qualified teacher. As a teacher, you should be responsible for your students. You can't leave your students in danger and only cares about yourself. Applause for sacking him!
Jun 9, 2008 18:03
  • YINDUFFY
The teacher's behavior was criminal. While the students are in his class, he is responsible for them in every way.
Do the schools in China have emergency drills to evacuate the school? Here in schools and the workplace we have fire drills and evacuation drills where those in a position of responsibility ( teachers, supervisors) have a task to ensure that the people or students under them are safely out of the building. The same goes for ships on the ocean. Even a small fishing boat that takes tourists out has to have a safety lecture and tell passengers where the life jackets are and what to do in an emergency.
While in school the students teacher acts in "Loco parentis" which is a legal phrase meaning the teacher acts as the childs parents. If a parent negected his child in such a fashion, he would be subject to criminal negligence charges.
The poor students looked up to the teacher as a parent figure and he deserted them in a time of need. An example should be made of him and others reminded of their responsibility.
Jun 15, 2008 23:00
  • BBQQ
It is said that he has been sacked by the school and his teacher's certificate has been revoked. That means he can't teach anymore. According to the report, it is the Ministry of Education that required the local bureau of education to sack Fan Meizhong. Fan said that he would sue to the court. He retorted that the Ministry of Education was wrong because there was not rule that said the teacher should risk his own life to save his/her students' lives. Now the focus is "Should he be sacked?"
Jun 16, 2008 21:48
  • JIMMYB
"Now the focus is "Should he be sacked?"

BBQQ, you have revived this topic. My answer is "Yes". He didn't break the law but he failed his responsibility as a teacher. He was a disqualified teacher. As a teacher, you must set a good example for your students. Just imagine: if his student becomes a teacher , he might run away in such an emergent situation because his teacher just did so.
Jun 19, 2008 22:10
  • BBQQ
All of us has ignored one thing---Fan Meizhong has become famous now. It is said that Nike has signed a contract with him, inviting him to be the spokesman of Nike shoes. I am just wondering if anyone will buy the shoes. Fan Meizhong is not a qualified teacher but has become a celeb now.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: If you were him, what would you do?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code