Menu
Are most Chinese people bashful?
May 29, 2008 22:39
  • CANADAGUY
A couple of observations that I have made about this site.
First, although there are 15,000+ members, less than 100 members post about 95% or more of the total posts!

The other interesting thing that I noticed is that very few Chinese members have a photo of themselves on their profile. Is this because Chinese people are bashful?

Jun 1, 2008 20:23
  • CHERRY07
I can't speak for others, but for me, I won't upload my picture on any forum. BECAUSE I am not beautiful and don't want to scare other people. Just kidding!

Canadaguy, Chinese people are bashful. This is one reason. The other reason is that they prefer to speak on the internet anonymously. Because they don't like others to know their true identities. They use their virtual indentities on the internet to express their true feelings but they don't want other people to know who they are.
Jun 2, 2008 00:41
  • CANADAGUY
>>Canadaguy, Chinese people are bashful. This is one reason. The other reason is that they prefer to speak on the internet anonymously. Because they don't like others to know their true identities. They use their virtual indentities on the internet to express their true feelings but they don't want other people to know who they are.<<

Thanks Cherry for being brave and answering my question! :)
I find it fascinating that this is actually the case.

We talk about many things on this site, and in many ways we are all the same, but here is one area where
our cultures seem to be quite different.

I find it a bit ironic that with a population of 1.3 billion people, most people here are afraid of losing their anonymity by posting their pic.

Jun 3, 2008 21:02
  • CHERRY07
"I find it a bit ironic that with a population of 1.3 billion people, most people here are afraid of losing their anonymity by posting their pic."

If you visit some Chinese forums, you will find that almost all members use the avatars instead of their own pictures. I guess that there will be fewer people on the forums if we make a rule that all members should upload their own pictures. Hehe.
Jun 5, 2008 11:41
  • GRIZ326
Bashful? Probably not any more bashful then any other people, but probably smarter than those of us who post our pictures and sacrifice our anonymity.
Jun 5, 2008 17:54
  • CANADAGUY
>>but probably smarter than those of us who post our pictures and sacrifice our anonymity.<<

Is that a bad thing, sacrificing your anonymity?
By posting your picture, in hindsight, would you say you made a mistake?

Jun 5, 2008 22:19
  • JIMMYB
Hehe, I wouldn't make such a mistake. Why do I use Jay Chou as my avatar? Very simple, I love listening to his songs. Moreover, there is no rule that says we must use our own picture in this forum. I don't judge a person by his picture in this forum. From his/her writings, I can know about him/her generally (of course I can't ensure that it is always correct). For those "anonymous" members, they have their own reasons for not showing their own photos. If they don't want to let us know how he/she looks like, we shouldn't force them to do so.
Jun 5, 2008 22:41
  • CANADAGUY
Hi Jimmy,

>> Moreover, there is no rule that says we must use our own picture in this forum.
... For those "anonymous" members, they have their own reasons for not showing their own photos. If they don't want to let us know how he/she looks like, we shouldn't force them to do so. <<

Of course there are no rules in this forum about posting your own picture with your profile.

By now, you should have learned that I am a very inquisitive person by nature. I like to dig a little deeper beneath the surface to find out what's really going on.

When I see that the vast majority of Chinese nationals members do something one way and the vast majority of foreign members here do something another way I become curious by nature as to the reason why.

Jimmy, your reply really hasn't explained the difference.
You've simply stated that we shouldn't force people to post their photos.
Jun 5, 2008 22:45
  • DODGER
I don’t know if my observations have any relevants to the Chinese being bashful but here goes.
Many car owners choose to have their windows tinted so darkly that you can’t see in and I would guess that their vision would also be impaired.
I bought a car a few weeks ago and the salesman tried to sell me in his words “privacy tinting”. He seam quite surprised that I would be happy for people to see me.
Perhaps in this population of 1.3 billion privacy has a higher value. It’s certainly harder to find.
Dodger.
Jun 5, 2008 23:15
  • CANADAGUY
>>...Perhaps in this population of 1.3 billion privacy has a higher value. It’s certainly harder to find.
Dodger.<<

Thanks Dodger, yes I can certainly see relevancy to your post.
It adds another perspective to the thread.
Jun 17, 2008 21:54
  • JIMMYB
"Jimmy, your reply really hasn't explained the difference.
You've simply stated that we shouldn't force people to post their photos."

Sorry for being off the point, Canadaguy. To keep the point, I agree with what Cherry said. If you visit Tianya (probably the biggest online community in China), you will find that many members are anonymous too. In order to keep their privacy, they even use 马甲 (Ma 3 Jia 2). I guess that you hear this word for the first time. Usually, those who frequently visit the forums prefer to register several accounts. They just set one as their main accounts. The other accounts are called Ma Jia. In Tianya community, those members prefer to use 马甲 to express their personally feelings or privacy because they won't others to know it is HE/SHE.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Are most Chinese people bashful?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code