Menu
Are most Chinese people bashful?
Jun 17, 2008 22:18
  • CANADAGUY
>>Sorry for being off the point, Canadaguy. To keep the point, I agree with what Cherry said. If you visit Tianya (probably the biggest online community in China), you will find that many members are anonymous too. In order to keep their privacy, they even use 马甲 (Ma 3 Jia 2). I guess that you hear this word for the first time. Usually, those who frequently visit the forums prefer to register several accounts. They just set one as their main accounts. The other accounts are called Ma Jia. In Tianya community, those members prefer to use 马甲 to express their personally feelings or privacy because they won't others to know it is HE/SHE.<<

Hi Jimmy, thanks for replying again to this thread.
It's interesting to read what you wrote about, how people keep their privacy on another site by using various methods.

But it still doesn't answer my question really. I was asking if Chinese people are bashful.
If they are truly bashful, then using the methods you mentioned to hide their identity would make sense.

Of course people might want to hide their identity for a number of different reasons.

So again, I ask if you think Chinese people are bashful?
If you don't think they are bashful, please explain what reasons they may have for not wanting to post their pics?

In the west it has become very popular to post your pic on computer sites.
So much so, that various sites (Facebook being a famous one) are set up to show other people your 'face' and other details of your life.

Jun 25, 2008 22:27
  • CANADAGUY
I was listening to a radio show a couple of nights ago and the discussion was about the internet and how it was affecting peoples' lives in general.

One guest made a comment that surprised me a little bit.
He said that when you go to an internet cafe in China two things happen to keep track of your computer usage:

1. You need to log in with an identity number.
2. Your picture is taken by a camera.

Can anyone confirm this information if they have knowledge about it?

Jun 25, 2008 22:42
  • JIMMYB
"1. You need to log in with an identity number.
2. Your picture is taken by a camera."

Canadaguy, I am sure that these only happen in big cities. When entering an internet cafe, you have to show your ID card to tell the receptionist that you are an adult. According to the rule, those who below 18 years are not allowed to enter the internet cafe. Actually, many internet cafe don't do as the rule says. If you go to an internet cafe, you will find that there are many young guys sitting there and playing E-games. In small places, you just need to give the money to the receptionist and then you can do whatever you like in the computer.
Jul 1, 2008 20:02
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"...and then you can do whatever you like in the computer."

Oook.... for some reason, this scares me. O_o
Jul 1, 2008 20:57
  • JIMMYB
SHESGOTTOBE, it is true. In some small netbars, those young guys have access to *** sites or watch *** videos. However, you won't see people in net bars in big cities. There you need to use a card to have access to the internet. Without it, you can't access to the internet. And you must offer your ID card when buying that card. Then people daren't do anything bad on the internet.
Jul 3, 2008 02:27
  • SONIA1985
Maybe,,,but i am not,i mean not bashful in this aspect,how i am here is actually how i am in reality.......why hiding?
Jul 3, 2008 03:30
  • SONIA1985
Hey,CANADAGUY ,how's going?i wanna know some US or EU forum,is there anything you can help me...lol
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Are most Chinese people bashful?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code