Menu
Chinese salad dressing
Jul 4, 2008 07:03
GUEST52185 i live in mallorca and we have this chinese salad in the restaurants here also the dressing is fab real creamy tast it seem to me that i can tast peanut in it i might be wrong but next time i go i will ask them for the ingridients
Jul 4, 2008 23:49
  • JABAROOTOO
Could it have Sesame paste (Tahini) as one of the ingredients or the dressing itself???

Tahini separates with the oil rising to the top of the paste as described early in the tread.
It is available in both 'black" from black sesame seeds and white ( a tan colour) from the light coloured seeds.

zhi ma jiang [芝麻酱]) also known as Zhao zi in Guangdong and southern provinces.

I use all the time for my salads but I discovered this before I came to China
It can usually be purchased on supermarket shelves these days, if not then health food stores.

This is popular as a condiment for Hot Pot and other meat dishes.

Origins of the Sesame Seed not clear but Middle East most likely as it was used for centuries as an oil for lamps.

<While the exact circumstances surrounding sesame's arrival in China may be lost to history, there's no doubt that today it is a mainstay of Chinese cuisine. Toasted sesame seeds are sprinkled on salads, sesame paste is added to sauces, and delightfully aromatic sesame oil is used to flavor everything from dips to marinades.>

Let's know if this is what it was..........................
Jul 8, 2008 07:05
GUEST05617 hi i live here in spain and enjoy the salad dressing every week on the salad its main base is rice vinegar. In torremolinos there is a chinese shop selling chinese products and in the fridge they have containers of this sauce but only has a week shelf life but may be worth going in there and asking.will try prising the info out of my restaurant owner i will let you know if it is succesful
Jul 8, 2008 12:45
GUEST23375 I am searching this site for a similar reason as I have just come back from Turkey and have had the most amazing salad dressing in a chinese. The dressing I had was watery is consistency it was a light flavour not vinegary or tangy and appeared to have a hint of ginger and maybe lemon but obviously some other ingredients. Any ideas
Jul 9, 2008 11:05
GUEST14444 I don't think it had sesame paste in as that it quite strong tasting and I'm sure I would've been able to taste it. Like another poster said, I think the main ingredient is rice wine vinegar as when it seperated it was clear at the top, the sediment at the bottom was a milky colour. I was told it had a long life though as long as it was kept in the fridge, I had it for a couple of months and it still tasted great.
Regards
Dee
Aug 13, 2008 15:48
GUEST44195 hi, i also had this salad dressing whilst in spain and have struggled to find anywhere that sells it ready made in england. i did ask the man in the chinese restaurant whilst i was there though and he told me the main ingredients were:
mayonnaise
white wine vinegar
olive oil
sugar
i dont know the quantities though i guess you would have to just experiment. hope it helps
Aug 30, 2008 08:24
GUEST29227 I know the exact stuff. I asked in a restaurant and they said it was normal white vinegar with pineapple juice and mayo and other spices.
Sep 14, 2008 23:58
GUEST30200 I own a chinese restaurant in New Jersey. The salad dressing we use is Mayo, pineapple juice, lemon juice, sugar, little salt. Thank for loving chinese food!
Dec 11, 2008 07:25
GUESTKATHRYN i lived in spain , and they had the same salad , it is lovely , i have been trying to find out what it was called so i can buy some , if you the name of it please tell me .. <("?")>
Feb 15, 2009 09:46
GUEST64122 jabarootoo, the dressing that is being discussed is the normal dressing available at most Chinise restaurants along the Costa del Sol, there is nothing quite like it, have been told by local Chinese restaurant owner that they import it from their home land, like the other person DeelightUK, I have tried many many times over several years to obtain the recipe, it is a taste to its self and is very delightful it really enhances a Chinese salad which is presented so different in appearance.
Page 2 of 7    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese salad dressing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code