Menu
Do you see them in Beijing and Shanghai?
Jun 4, 2008 04:26
  • BBQQ
In an article, the author writes that Beijing men prefer to be half-naked in summer since it is too hot, and that Shanghai women like wearing their pajamas to go out, for example, wearing pajamas to buy goods in the supermarket. Do you see them in Beijing and Shanghai?

Last summer, a local newpaper in Beijing lauched a campaign to call on Beijing people to get rid of this bad habit. If you were "lucky" to be seen in the newspaper half-nakedly, you could go to the newspaper to get a T-shirt.

Half-naked man in the park.

Jun 4, 2008 04:34
  • BBQQ
Sorry, upload a wrong photo. Moderator, can you help me delete it?

A girl who wears her pajamas in supermarket. The Olympic Games is coming, such practices should be banned.

Jun 5, 2008 04:54
  • CHERRY07
BBQQ, perhaps wearing pajamas has become a trend and we all are behind the times.
Jun 5, 2008 09:31
  • JABAROOTOO
We see this practice all over China. While it seems strange to see both men and women wearing their PJ's in the street, I guess if they are comfortable, there isn't much you can do about it.

The half naked men, well that is another story. Some men look great while other not so good, but again men in Australia go half naked most of the time too but they are at or near the beach so you expect them to be dressed like that and women wear pretty skimpy clothing too.

When it is as hot as it gets in China,30C plus, it isn't surprising that men bare their chests and roll up their trousers.
But shorts are the go for those hot summer days and a singlet would be a little more practical in public places.

I can't understand how the women can wear tight blue jeans in this heat but they do...........................
Jun 5, 2008 21:12
  • SHESGOTTOBE
So going out in pajama in high heels is in fashion now? Man, I am so behind the fashion scene. That, or they are just lazy to change.
Jun 5, 2008 22:09
  • JIMMYB
"I can't understand how the women can wear tight blue jeans in this heat but they do.."

Me too, Jabarootoo. Don't they feel the heat of the summer? Perhaps, SHESGOTTOBE can answer this question. You see, she wears her jean in the picture.
Jun 8, 2008 22:11
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Hmm…. Let’s see. That picture was taken at the Great Wall in the second half of October 2007, so it was autumn. If I remember it right, the temperature was around the high 60s F. Sunny perfect weather which boggled me because almost everyone around me was wearing a jacket while climbing the Great Wall. LOL!

I have never been to China in summer so I don’t know how hot it gets there. Here in Ohio, there is a mild heat wave going on even though it is not yet officially summer. It’s been in the 90s F for a couple of days now. I usually wear Capri jeans during summer though. Some women look good in skinny jeans, some do not.
Jun 9, 2008 16:24
  • YINDUFFY
About three years ago the Wall Street Journal ran a front page story about how common the practice was of older men to not wear shirts in hot weather. At that time Beijing had started an awareness campaign to shame the offenders and remind others how some view the practice as disgusting.
Last July and August we went to Beijing, Shenzhen, Jianjiang and Xinjiang's Shihezi and 148 Farm. We saw many men who apparently did not get the message. We also saw men who would hitch their shirts up to their armpits exposing their backs and bellies. My wife was repulsed by this. We would understand it if they were doing manual labor outdoors but many were just standing around, smoking cigarettes.
Habits are hard to change and I think this one will outlast the 2008 Olympics!
Post a Reply to: Do you see them in Beijing and Shanghai?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code