Menu
Are there standard equivalent of western names in Chinese?
Jun 12, 2008 03:02
guestChris As I has written in the title, are there standard equivalent of western names in Chinese? For instance, I see David as "大卫", Jack as "杰克" etc. However, I once saw Ronaldo as "朗拿度" and "罗纳尔多". Which one is correct? I am wondering if there is a kind of dictionary that lists Chinese version of all western names. My name is Chris. Anyone here can tell me the Chinese version of my name?
Jun 12, 2008 03:12
  • DRUSILLA
There is no correct version because the English names are all translated by the pronunciation. The difference is which one is more popular used, for "Ronaldo", "罗纳尔多" is more oftenly used than "朗拿度". But you can find the official version in the dictionary. For "Chris" in the dictionary, it is "克里斯" if it is a boy and "克莉丝" if it is a girl. Hope this helps.
Jun 13, 2008 04:07
  • JSUMMERS83
I've seen a book of translated English names in the hands of a person who was trying to sell me a personalized stamp in a couple of the tourist cities. I'm sure you can buy one somewhere, but just realize that all you're getting is a transliteration. There's very little meaning in those types of names, it's just sounds that follow the same pattern as English.

I have actually taken on two names here: a transliterated name used to help those who don't speak English and want to say my name correctly and one given me by my close friends here in China (one that actually has a meaning).
Jun 13, 2008 12:42
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Chris,

Are you looking for something like this?: http://cgi.ebay.com/Over-3500-Chinese-Names-TATTOO-DESIGNS-COLLECTION_W0QQitemZ250258238463QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250258238463&&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177
Jun 15, 2008 22:12
  • BBQQ
"However, I once saw Ronaldo as "朗拿度" and "罗纳尔多". Which one is correct? "

Chris, both are correct. In Mandarine, we say "罗纳尔多". But in Guangdong and Hongkong, people say "朗拿度" in Cantonese.
Post a Reply to: Are there standard equivalent of western names in Chinese?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code