Menu
Should euthanasia be made legal in China?
Jun 24, 2008 22:44
  • JIMMYB
News: Cheng Pengcai (a guy living in Daye city, Hubei Province) was arrested for he intentionally "killed" his wife Ke Zhenying (actually, he didn't kill his wife, just assisting her to suicide). According to the news, Cheng's wife has been laying on the bed for 11 years. However, Cheng and his daughter never gave up and have been taking care of her for 11 years. Seeing his wife suffering from the illness, he would rather to suffer instead of her. In order to relieve her wife from the sufferings, he bought a bottle pesticides and helped her wife practice euthanasia. But the local people's procuratorates didn't think so. Althought he did this just for relieving her wife's sufferings, he has broken the law to kill his wife.

The news has drawn much attention from the public. Many netizens have aired their opinions. A cetain number of the netizens say that Cheng Pengcai's behaviour is understandable. Since he loves her wife deeply, he wouldn't like to see her suffering from the pain so that he helped her practice euthanasia. In their opinions, he is not guilty and shouldn't be sentenced to be in prison. However, some other people don't think so. Since the euthanasia hasn't been made legal in China, he has broken the current law for intentionally killing his wife. Thus, he should be responsible for her wife's death. If he wasn't sentenced, some other people might make use of it to kill other people.

In my view, China should make euthanasia legal very soon. In the extreme condition (better-being-dead-than-being-alive), people have the right to end their lives. Better to let them die than to force them live in misery.

What do you think? Is Cheng Pengcai guilty? Should China make euthanasia legal?
Jun 25, 2008 01:31
  • JCNILE123
Why not? How many millions of unborn children are kill every year... and none of the compassionate people care, in fact the same compassionate people are the ones killing unborn defenseless babies

Jun 25, 2008 04:54
  • DODGER
I believe that everybody has the right to end their own life for whatever reason.
My heart goes out to this man Cheng Pengcai.
To try and write this into some form of legislation would/could and does lead to abuse.
As to the subject of abortion; this is another debate entirely and one that I will never have to face personally.
JC, if your daughter was raped and became pregnant what would you do? Apart from the obvious that is.
Dodger.
Jun 25, 2008 14:41
  • JCNILE123
Dodger,
(((As to the subject of abortion; this is another debate entirely
JC, if your daughter was raped and became pregnant what would you do? Apart from the obvious that is.)))

Yes, Dodger I cannot agree more with you, it is another debate or matter, however it deals with the dead or killing of an infant, a little baby; Using the most despicable ways to kill him/her.

We the compassionate ones have created tools to fit the needs, with out concern for the unborn human little one, only the desire or intentions of the adult is taken in to consideration as the executioner executes the one that can not express his/her desire to live or die.

As for your question my friend, I can undeniable express my commitment to the preservation of the frail and defenseless, the unborn that is.

At the same time I have been a practitioner of responsible sex, not only to prevent diseases but more important to prevent the possibility of an unwanted or not in appropriate time child.

I hope it never happens not just to my daughter but to any other woman on earth, (I am dreaming I know) as long as we have pigs, we will have rapes.

I cannot persuade her to do my way; she is an adult.
However based on what I have taught her about the sanctity of life: I am sure she will give birth to the baby and put him/her up for adoption as the worse.

We will not destroy or kill an unborn baby.

We believe on God, this is the difference.

Dodger, I hope this answer your question.
Jun 25, 2008 20:46
  • SHESGOTTOBE
This just reminded me of something I read before.

If you really think about it, there is only one rule in life. The rule in life is that there are no rules. We just made them up as we go along.
Jun 25, 2008 20:49
  • KATRINA
"To try and write this into some form of legislation would/could and does lead to abuse."

Dodger, why do you think that people will abuse euthanasia if it is made legal? Personally, I think that the law (if euthanasia was made legal) can regulate people abuse euthanasia. If it was not made legal, more cases like Cheng Pengcai might happen. I consult with my colleague who is familiar with Chinese laws. He told that Cheng Pengcai might face at least 16 years imprisonment for "murdering" his wife. The prerequisite is that the judge considers that Cheng Pengcai did this just for relieving her wife from sufferings. More seriously, he might stay in the prison until he dies.

By the way, China has introduced lethal injection to execute the criminals. In the past, the criminals are usually shot by firing-squad. However, it is too inhumane and causes much pain and panic to the criminals. By adopting lethal injection, the criminals die peacefully.
Jun 25, 2008 23:25
  • DODGER
Katrina,
I don’t believe that it is possible to be able to legislate for moral behavior, that’s one of the main functions of all religion. If you can find me an example of were it has worked I’d be surprised.
Euthanasia and Abortion are clearly moral issues. It is not my place to decide or to speculate on whether a woman should or should not terminate her pregnancy. How many variables would there be? It should be left to the woman and to some extent her partner to make that decision not a moral crusader or a state.
As with the case on Euthanasia, unless you believe that the State hold a complete monopoly on when we should live or when we should die or put our self’s at the risk of dying (compulsory conscription) it should be left to the individual.
There are many in this world who believes that we are overpopulated. What a wonderful way to cull the population.
Ok, step forward all those sixty and above….
It is my understanding that there is no ‘common law” in China, unlike the UK and the US. Unwritten laws that are set by precedents and can be adjusted naturally to keep pace with the current moral climate.
I would close in suggesting that your point on adopting a lethal injection to kill a person rather than a bullet to the head may have been put in place to bring more comfort to the executioner than to the executed. I would guess that the anxiety factor for the victim would be about the same although I hope not to be able to test this theory.
Dodger.
Jun 26, 2008 09:05
  • GRIZ326
This is one of those things every government should stay out of. If a member of my family or a very close friend wants to die, I will assist them. My best friend any I have already agreed to assist each other if something terrible happened to one of us. Both of us believe in killing our pets when the time comes.

These are the sorts of things that tear a man up inside, but for which there is no better solution.

If governments - any government - gets involved in setting rules for euthanasia, heaven only knows where the government path will lead us.
Jun 26, 2008 21:45
  • KATRINA
Griz, why shouldn't the government stay out of this issue? If the government doesn't make euthanasia legal, who are entitled to do this? Since euthanasia was not made legal in China, Cheng Pengcai had to stay in prison at least for 16 years. If you were him, would you help her suicide? Do you fear severe punishment?
Feb 10, 2009 23:50
GUEST86203 Could i be execute by a lady?
Feb 11, 2009 17:03
  • GRIZ326
Sorry I did not see this sooner Katrina. IMO, government in the USA provides far more trouble for people than solutions.

If the government writes a law there will be people who use the law to murder for their advantage. If there is no law, good people can turn a blind eye to what the self-righteous are incapable of understanding as an act of mercy. ...on the other hand, if there is no law to be exploited, those same good people can identify a murder and prosecute it.

It is unfortunately for Cheng Pengcai that the same sort of people who find and exploit loopholes in the law also prosecute with vigor for an edge case such as this.

However, China should do what China thinks is proper; I just don't want a law on the books in the USA legalizing euthanasia. If I must do it for a friend or family member I'll take my chances.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Should euthanasia be made legal in China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code