Menu
Pissing in public
Jun 25, 2008 22:54
  • CANADAGUY
Speaking about pissing (urinating) in public...
This topic came up a couple of times recently in the thread 'Why do they want to date old westerners?'.

I must tell the story that happened to me the last time I was visiting Guangzhou for the Chinese New Year in February this year.

I was on a bus heading out of town to Hong Kong with my girlfriend.
We hadn't yet left the city when I noticed a woman crouched down at the edge of a sidewalk.
She looked to be in her 20's or 30's. Her pants were down to her knees and she was squatting with her butt hanging out, just onto the street.

Thankfully I didn't get to see which waste form she was relieving herself of. :)

When I returned home to Canada and reflected upon it, I remembered that this was the second time that I had witnessed something like this in my life.

The first time occurred a few years ago in my home town. It was the middle of winter and very cold outside, around freezing.

I was walking back to my car late at night in the downtown part of town.
As I was making my way to a parking lot I noticed a woman pulling her pants down to her knees.

Her friends were off to the side. As I came closer and she noticed me, she quickly reversed
her motions and pulled up her pants.
She was in her early 20's.

She was very embarrassed, to say the least.
Here's the best part. Her friends got out a camera and made her pose next to me, my arm around her, while they took our picture!

Such is life. :)
Jun 26, 2008 01:00
  • JSUMMERS83
I've seen a campaign started all throughout China to stop people from spitting in public.

As much as I am disgusted when I see people spit in front of me, though, I am even more so when I see adults (and even the split-pants kids to a degree) just relieving themselves beside a busy road. I was so embarrassed while showing my parents around Xi'an when we saw, not even 100m from the bell tower, a man with his pants at his knees peeing on a wall. Unbelievable.

Where's the ad campaign to stop this ugly habit?
Jun 26, 2008 22:03
  • KATRINA
I've seen some guys relieving themselves beside the streets too. For girls, I seldom see them do this . Personally, I think that the campaign can stop this ugly habit. For those who piss in public, we should punish them severely. If he was found to piss in public, he needs to clean the whole street for one week. Then they will understand that it is wrong to piss in public.
Jun 26, 2008 22:21
  • LEONARDO
I have never seen women piss in public, but I do have seen numorous men piss in public. Despite of what reasons they have, pissing in public is not good public conduct. Well, a woman does have urgent urination, she at least should find a place to hide herself.
Jun 29, 2008 22:36
  • JIMMYB
"Well, a woman does have urgent urination, she at least should find a place to hide herself."

Perhaps, men should also find a place to hide themselves when pissing. Just kidding! Women at least know that it is shameful to piss in public. But why don't men find a place to hide themselves? Are they shameless?
Jun 30, 2008 04:34
  • SONIA1985
it s really a big embarrassment when i saw a guy piss on the roadside,,,is that only chinese guys behave in this way?
Jun 30, 2008 08:45
  • JABAROOTOO
Probably not Sonia, I have seen this in the Philippines too

but at least in the 'west' we make an effort to get out of site of others so as not to embarrass anyone and of course there are many more public toilets to use, especially along the highways and in and around town.

The worst I have experienced was a mother with a child. Our bus had just arrived at the bus station Jiujiang and as the passengers were leaving the bus she just let her son pee all down the aisle of the bus. He could have wet some of the other passengers. It went everywhere.

What is wrong with using a disposable nappy or a towel and washing it out later.
There are much more discrete ways to relieve ourselves than in very public places.
Jul 1, 2008 03:40
  • JIMMYB
Jabar, the key is that they don't get the habit of taking nappy or towel with them because they think that their children are old enough to do this by themselves. I have heard that most cities have opened the public toilets to the pubic for free. Originally, people needs to pay for releasing themelves in the public toilets. However, some guys still pee in public places. They are too lazy to enter the public toilets.

Here is another interesting story. When I was wandering on the streets with my friends, I met an interesting girl. She wanted to go to the public toilet. Standing in front of the toilet, she asked the cleaner if it was free. The cleaner said "yes". Then she said:" Do you offer toilet paper?" The cleaner said "No". Then the girl went away.
Jul 1, 2008 12:00
  • JCNILE123
As I was in Hong Kong, I run in to this bi-lingual sign, so I must say that many under educated people around the world to it in the public some more than the others do.

As Canadaguy said it, Canada included!

Jul 1, 2008 14:30
  • CANADAGUY
Jimmy you've touched on an interesting point that may have quite a bearing on this situation.
When I was in China there were several public washrooms that were still charging for their use.
The habits of some people may be influenced by this, although I don't think it is warranted.

You rarely see pay-toilets in the west, but if they were more common who knows, pissing in the street may be more prevalent there too.

>>Here is another interesting story. When I was wandering on the streets with my friends, I met an interesting girl. She wanted to go to the public toilet. Standing in front of the toilet, she asked the cleaner if it was free. The cleaner said "yes". Then she said:" Do you offer toilet paper?" The cleaner said "No". Then the girl went away.<<

Yes this brings up another related issue: the 'toilet paper conundrum'.
It's all well and good to open up the public facilities for free, but if they don't offer free toilet paper as well, and you don't bring (or forget to bring) your own, then you are left with a very uncomfortable situation.

This is certainly a 'cultural thing'.
Jul 1, 2008 20:15
  • JSUMMERS83
JCNILE, I really do wish such a sign and fine were in place where I live. I've never heard of such a public ordinance being made on the mainland concerning "obeying the call of nature" in public. I love the picture, though...thanks for posting it!

Hong Kong always seems like it's light years ahead of the mainland when it comes to stuff like this.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Pissing in public
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code