Menu
Shanghai to Huangshan on a weekend
Jul 2, 2008 11:05
  • ANOOP
Hi,

I am currently visiting Shanghai for official purposes for a couple of weeks. I don't know chinese. I have one weekend when I am free and amplanning to visit the yellow mountain. There are many threads on Huangshan in this forum, so let me put my queries in short:

1. I have to reach my office in Shanghai at 9am on monday morning. Which mode of transport shall I choose to return from Huangshan to Shanghai. I am planning to take the overnight train to reach Huangshan on saturday morning.

2. Do I need to do advance booking for dorms, if I choose to stay at the top of the mountain on saturday?

3. Most importantly I don't know chinese. Once I reach Huangshan, how difficult it will be for me to communicate with people and get to the right place? I will be travelling alone.

Thanks a Lot,
Anoop
Jul 2, 2008 21:45
  • MICHAELMA
1. 4Jul Shanghai-Huangshan by train N418/419 2235-1000 second class:CNY175.00
2. 5Jul Huangshan Sightseeing ( if u stay at the top of the mountain on saturday,u'd better booking dorms)
3. 6Jul Huangshan-Shanghai by air FM9266 2240-2340 economy class:CNY670.00(there is little tickets for u ,so ,hurry up)

if u don't know chinese and travelling alone,u'd better find a person whom can speak english in Huangshan with u (there are many students or young man whom can speak english )
Jul 4, 2008 04:01
GUEST01124 Please help me too.

Is this Shanghai - Huangshan train available every night ? Which part of Huangshan is the station and how far is it to the cable car station ?

How about Huangshan - Hangzhou ? What times are the trains or buses ?
Jul 7, 2008 08:40
  • STEVENSD
GUEST01124 :
You should buy the train ticket advanced.The part of Huangshan station is Tunxi,you can go to the cable car station by taxi,it about cost you 6 RMB.then you can by bus to yellow mountain.it about cost you 18-20RMB.
In the bottom of mountain ,there have bus to HangZhou direct.the time is :14:30 or15:30 or 16:30 or 17:00,price is 95RMB.
I am in huangshan ,if you need my help and any question,you can Email me:tom.com|stevensd
Jul 7, 2008 08:51
  • STEVENSD
In shanghai ,there also have bus to Huangshan scenic spot directly.the station is in:hualong hotel ,365#,hutai road.6:30AM,
any question,you can Email me:tom.com|stevensd
Jul 7, 2008 08:57
  • ANOOP
Thanks Stevens for your response. I have gone ahead and done train reservation for reaching Huangshan. My only worry was to be able to return to Shanghai by midnight on Sunday. If the bus leaves Huangshan at 5pm, what time it will reach Shanghai? And how earlly do I need to start from the peak, so as to be able to reach the bus station by evening?

Thanks again.
Jul 7, 2008 21:50
  • STEVENSD
ANOOP :How are you !
The answer is you can return to Shanghai by midnight on Sunday,but you must to arrive the bottom of mountain before 16:00.
There have two buses .one is 14:30,go shanghai by highway,about 6 hours to shanghai .the other one is 16:00,no highway and about 7 hours to shanghai.
I do not know when you come to huangshan ,you should stay one night on the peak.so you need to do advance booking for dorms.
any question,you can Email me:tom.com|stevensd I am in huangshan ,I can be your guider and free of charge.
Jul 17, 2008 06:57
  • ELLYSE
1) You need to either catch the last Tunxi -- Shanghai bus on Sunday, or fly on Sunday night. The overnight train will not arrive in time for you to get to your office at 0900 on Monday morning.
2) Yes, absolutely!
Yes, the Shanghai -- Tunxi (Huangshan city) train runs daily. The train station is in Tunxi (Huangshan city). From here it's another 1-1.5 hours by bus to Tangkou at the southern foot of the mountain, or about 2 hours by bus to Taiping at the northern foot of the mountain. From either, allow for another half an hour by bus/taxi (if Taiping) to get to the bottom of any cable car.
The latest bus from Tunxi to Shanghai leaves at about 1550, not 1700. It reaches Shanghai South long-distance bus station at around 2200.
If you start from the summit area around 0800 and don't dilly dally, you should have enough time to descend the mountain on foot.
If you're still in Shanghai and want to meet to discuss plans and get a clearer picture, email me at yahoo.com|ellyse99 and put "TravelChinaGuide" and your own username (eg StevenSD) in the subject line, thanks.
Jul 17, 2008 06:57
  • ELLYSE
In this case your own username (depending on who you are) might be Anoop.
Jul 25, 2008 20:33
  • JIMS
People seem to be very helpful on this forum.
I will be visiting Huangshan mountain on 17 November this year.
I am traveling alone with a primary interest in photography.
I am starting to learn some Mandarin, but my ability will be only slight.
How would I go about finding an English-speaking guide for walking about the mountain?
Or would that even be necessary?
I appreciate any help and suggestions I receive.
Jul 25, 2008 23:19
  • ELLYSE
No, you don't need one. The signs are in English, Chinese and even Japanese or some other language, I forgot. You won't get lost!
Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Shanghai to Huangshan on a weekend
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code