Jul 4, 2008 15:42
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
What does 好人 mean?
Jul 4, 2008 19:27
  • LORENS
好人means NICE PERSON.
Jul 4, 2008 22:34
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Could there be another meaning to 好人? My Cantonese is pretty bad but I thought it meant "Good People"?
Jul 5, 2008 00:26
  • LORENS
what is the different between "nice person" and "good people"?
Jul 5, 2008 02:01
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Well Lorens,

If 好人 really means "Nice Person" than he is just a nice person. But to my understanding, If I heard "好人" in spoken Cantonese than I think it means "Good People" which implies that he is more than nice, perhaps honesty and integrity as well. But I ask because I am a Chinese guy who's Spanish is better than his Cantonese and sorta confused.
Jul 5, 2008 03:55
  • LORENS
i think it just means nice person. for people more than nice with honesty and integrity, i think 圣人 is more appropriate.
Jul 5, 2008 04:14
  • JIMMYB
Well, personally I think that Danny's explanation is better. As for 好人, it reminds me of an sentence that was mostly used by girls when she refuses a boy's love. They usually tell them "你是个好人,但是咱们不合适 (you are a good man. But I don't think we match each other well." Many boys are disappointed when hearing girls saying ‘你是个好人...". Hehe.
Jul 5, 2008 22:09
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Hey Jimmy,

So 好人 does mean "Good Guy"?
Jul 8, 2008 01:51
  • JIMMYB
Hey, Danny. To my understanding, 好人 means "Good guy". By the way, what is your understanding of good guy and good people?
Jul 14, 2008 01:05
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Hey Jimmy,

Well to my understanding if referring to a particular person was "好人" than I would think that this person must be trustworthy, of the utmost integrity, kind of like overall good character (Honest, Integrity, good ethics, kind, considerate, empathetic etc). But like if someone were to say "Good People" to describe like a family than I would take it as like a line we have here in the states "Oh, hes cool" or like "yeah they are aite" because its sort of general or just to be nice.

I rarely hear people being called 好人. Such as my dad, he rarely uses the term and when he does, I can see why. Usually there is a Chinese term I don't know the character to. Its used to describe situations or items sort of like what we would say "its so so" or "not bad" to describe people often, sort of like "not bad but not good either" that is used often. That is why I wanted to clarify so that I know it doesn't really mean "Nice". But I guess it also depends on the person, if they used it too loosely than it loses its meaning.

Does that answer your question Jimmy? and does my understanding of 好人 fit well with how its used?
Jul 14, 2008 20:29
  • JIMMYB
Does that answer your question Jimmy?

>>Yes, good explanation.

and does my understanding of 好人 fit well with how its used?

>>My understanding is the same as yours.

Usually there is a Chinese term I don't know the character to. Its used to describe situations or items sort of like what we would say "its so so" or "not bad" to describe people often, sort of like "not bad but not good either" that is used often.

I guess that what you referred is 一般. It is similar to "ordinary" in English.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: 好人
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code