Menu
Why Chinese Want to Have Western Names ?
Jul 6, 2008 01:44
guest42124 More Chinese are having Western names. Why is this so ?
Jul 6, 2008 03:30
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
I believe it is to make it easier for Americans to address them. For example, There is this girl that I know, she has been here for a few years and her real name is "Manna", I am having a bit or trouble getting the Chinese Characters for it. But for 2 years, I called her "Amanda", I forget how it came about but she adopted the name since its easier for people to remember. I was really red when I found out. :)
Jul 6, 2008 17:56
  • YINDUFFY
I think people choose names that their friends can relate to. They probably do not want their friends or co-workers to embarrass themselves as they try to pronounce an unusual name.
My name is Bob and if I were to go to Spain or Italy, I would ask to be called Roberto and in China, I have no problem with being called Bobu. I have Asian friends who use their own names and others who use Western names like Tommy or James.
What it comes down to is that you wish the others to feel comfortable with you and your name.
Jul 6, 2008 20:00
  • MARRIE
My non-Chinese name is CoCo that is easy to spell and pronounce. Mr. Y, i think you've many chinese relatives living in rural areas, nobody call you white 萝卜??
Jul 6, 2008 22:00
  • LEONARDO
I chose the western name because it was easy for my foreign teachers to address me when I was in the university.
Jul 7, 2008 02:36
  • DODGER
An old friend of mine from Taiwan told me that on his first day at school the teacher gave the class western names .That was 60 years ago.
Another Chinese friend of mine who I used to call Mr.XX asked me to give him a name as he found it embarrassing to be called Mr. all the time. So I thought up a name.
I find it a little confusing here though when some locals use their western name to me and their Chinese name to my wife. So I prefer to use their Chinese names even though I still mix up the Ma Juns’ with the Pan Jings
Dodger.
Jul 7, 2008 12:34
I still mix up the Ma Juns’ with the Pan Jings

If you knew my wife Dodger then you would get even more confused as her name is Han Jing.
The English name she has is Mary although I prefer to call her Jing myself.
Alan
Jul 8, 2008 11:32
  • YINDUFFY
While my wife has never adopted a "Western" name, we know many Chinese who have. My wife even calls them by their "Western" names.
I have thought it odd that my Chinese relatives have so much trouble saying my name when it is so simple. However I just accept it and remember what my father used to say:
" I don't care what you call me: Just don't call me late for dinner!"
Jul 8, 2008 17:08
  • DAVEC
What about the other way round? How many of us westerners have Chinese names?
My name was easy as its only Da Wei.
I have Chinese nickname too but I wont be telling anyone that.
Jul 8, 2008 21:50
  • KATRINA
Davec, Is this your Chinese name? 大(dà)卫(wèi). It is the similar pronunciation of David.

You have Chinese nickname. Who gave your Chinese nickname? I don't have a nickname though I am a Chinese.
Jul 9, 2008 01:23
  • LORENS
My western name is Lawrence. The reason I have western name is it is easier for english speaking people to address me.
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why Chinese Want to Have Western Names ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code