Menu
Why Chinese Want to Have Western Names ?
Jul 9, 2008 08:03
  • DAVEC
Katrina, you are right dawei, as my name is David but we usually say Dave as its shorter.

I got nickname from my chinese friends, just a bit of fun.
Jul 13, 2008 05:53
GUEST24388 It seems that the Chinese are more prepared to make changes to suit foreigners - esp westerners. I wonder why ? Don't they take their cultural/national dignity into consideration ? Don't they feel anything at all ?
As another foreign member said, "Why not let the westerns have Chinese names" ?
Jul 13, 2008 22:27
GUEST24388 Why are the Chinese so accomodating to the westerners ? I am sure the westerners do not mind Chinese having Chinese names. They may complain that it is difficult for them to call and remember Chinese names but they will accept it.
To me, it is the Chinese who are too keen to embrace western culture. Probably having a western name is cool. But they forgot about that they are discarding their own culture. Imagine if one day, all Chinese have western names and speak English !! It will be a great shame indeed.
Jul 14, 2008 22:41
  • LEONARDO
GUEST24388,

Your concern for the loss of Chinese national identity is comprehensible. Well, your comment sounds a little bit cynical and xenophobic. As you can see, China is no long a closed self-sufficient society. The open China is trying to embrace diversified civilizations. A name, either English or Chinese, is only a symbol of a specified individual. (It is like a tag attached on the package of commodities.) To have an English name doesn't mean 'you lose your own culture and national identity". I think some foreigners wouldn't mind having a Chinese name, but Chinese is thought to difficult for them to grasp. Hence, Chinese name is difficult to remember.

Certainly, I must confess that during the process of China's integration into the international community, some elements of traditional Chinese culture are being overwhelmed by the western pop culture. Well, that's another story, but we shouldn't equate having a western name with the loss of national identity. Well, I do think China must achieve a balance between retaining its own national identity and embracing western cultures. The Chinese think tank points out that China must draw on the strength of various civilizations and get rid of the weakness of other cultures. How to put the 'credo' into practice is not an easy task!
Jul 14, 2008 23:24
GUEST44248 Yes, Leonardo. You are so right. My apology.

Having a western name is drawing on the strength of western civilisation indeed. You certainly know what are strengths, weaknesses & unnecessities !

Kudos to you. May more Chinese be like you - a wonderful example of a educated Chinese.
Jul 15, 2008 22:11
  • LEONARDO
Hey GUEST44248,
Quote:
>>Having a western name is drawing on the strength of western civilisation indeed. You certainly know what are strengths, weaknesses & unnecessities ! <<

I have never said” having a western name is drawing on the strength of western civilizations". That's not my point! Yes, I am fully aware what are strengths, weaknesses& 'unnecessities'!

>>Kudos to you. May more Chinese be like you - a wonderful example of a educated Chinese.<<
Regardless of what your real undertone is, I take your words as a compliment. Thanks for your compliment!!

Regards
Leonardo
Jul 15, 2008 22:40
  • PANADA
The international acclaimed Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi didn't have an English Name despite that she was an international star and will marry an American, Vive Nevo soon.
Jul 22, 2008 21:19
  • CLAUD
I love it when the 'hello kitty' girls here in China take an English name and call themselves 'Candy' or 'kitty' or whatever popular *** -star name you can think off.... Of course they don't realize that....retards.
Jul 23, 2008 23:41
  • KRATERON
seriously, I wouldn't like to be called like they are.. it looks like they just put whatever they got in their heads as the name of their children!
Jul 25, 2008 03:32
  • SONIA1985
I had English name when i was in middle school,it had no reason,our teacher gave everystudent a English name.i just took it as everybody do..I changed my English name from Cici to Sonia after graduation,I had English name for make easier communication with my foreign customers.
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why Chinese Want to Have Western Names ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code