Menu
Drive through the red light to catch the thieves?
Jul 11, 2008 02:25
  • CHERRY07
As the newpaper reports, four taxi drivers drove their taxis to catch three thieves. Finally, they caught the thieves. However, they would be fined according to the traffic rules because they broke the red light.

When the news appears in the newspaper, people in Urumchi discuss it heatedly. Most people think that the four drives shouldn't be fined becaues they didn't break the red light intentionally. They just tried to catch the thieves. Moreover, they should be rewarded for their brave behaviour. However, a small part of people insist that those four drivers should be fined. No matter what they did, they did break the red light. According to the traffic rules, they should be responsible for their behaviour.

If you were a judge, how do you deal with this case? Should the four drivers be fined?
Jul 11, 2008 08:33
  • WCTMAN
If I were the defense lawyer, I would argue that there is no precedent in this case. That is, nobody in China has ever been charged with running a red light, so why start with my clients?
Jul 11, 2008 13:59
  • GARYKINKADE
(IMO) ..these taxi drivers made a "citizens arrest" and should be given the same immunities from the law(s) as a police officer(s) would when apprehending criminals.
Jul 11, 2008 17:01
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
We should give them a parade instead of disciplinary action. Well not really a parade but, if an ordinary man is hesitant to do whats right than the government has failed.
Jul 14, 2008 22:25
  • BBQQ
"That is, nobody in China has ever been charged with running a red light, so why start with my clients?"

WCTMAN, those who ran a red light will be warned or fined at least 5 yuan. The upper limit is 50 yuan. The traffic rule says. However, it is not implemented very well. Many people even don't know this rule. Once I saw a man run a red light in front of a traffic police. However, the police didn't stop him.
Jul 16, 2008 21:18
  • JIMMYB
"Once I saw a man run a red light in front of a traffic police. However, the police didn't stop him."

No wonder people dare to run the red light. That police was irresponsible.

If you were a judge, how do you deal with this case?

He breaks the traffic law so that he should pay the fine. But in order to reward to his great deed, he should be rewarded. In conclusion, pay the fine first and then get the reward.
Jul 17, 2008 02:48
  • DODGER
Like BBQQ,
I have seen people drive through red lights with police standing by and nothing happens.
I’ve also seen police cars drive up one way streets the wrong way. They set a great example.
The Taxi drivers have IMO set a fine example of how good citizens should react when they see people doing the wrong thing.
If this example was followed across the board there would be far less crime.
Dodger.
Jul 17, 2008 09:44
  • WCTMAN
I admit that I make some fairly sarcastic remarks here sometimes, and maybe i should apologize if i occassionally offend anyone. But, on the subject of traffic police, at least here in Xi'An, let me say this: in 3 years here, i haven't seen them stop anybody for anything. But, I do see them drive their family and friends around to the shopping centers, and I see them sitting 4 to a car or van, with their feet hanging out the windows, smoking cigarettes.

I have seen drivers pull the most boneheaded, careless driving stunts ( like doing 10 point u - turns on busy roads ), blocking traffic in both directions, and the police don't do a thing. I have been in taxi's that have cut off police cars, avoiding contact by mere inches, and again, the police do nothing. Maybe you have to hit and kill somebody before they will get out of car and see what is going on.

As a result, nobody respects them, since they know that the police can't or won't be bothered to do their jobs, like issue tickets. Until they do, anarchy will be the order of the day on the roads here.
Jul 17, 2008 12:13
  • GARYKINKADE
Not issue tickets?...Sir, we could use a few of the policemen from Xi'An to where I live.
Jul 17, 2008 21:13
GUEST59184 WCTMAN is telling the truth, but most bobs are good.
Jul 30, 2008 10:32
  • WCTMAN
In Canada, running a red light is considered "dangerous driving". You will get a fine, some demerit points against your license and your insurance will go up. And, there isn't a cop in the country who will see you run a light and not instantly be in your rear view mirror.
Post a Reply to: Drive through the red light to catch the thieves?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code