Menu
Why are Chinese curious about ladies' ages?
Jul 18, 2008 02:14
guest5684 In the west, people seldom ask others some very personal questions, such as age and salary. However, it is quite different in China. I have found that Chinese people are very curious about ladies' ages. In their views, they can show their care to somebody by asking her how old she is. My friends tell me that it is very annoying if somebody asks "how old are you" in public. If you are young, you can tell them how old you are. However, if you are above 25 years old, I am sure that you are reluctant to tell others how old you are because you are getting older.

How should ladies deal with such a matter? There are three ways: First, "Hmm, I won't tell you." Second, "Don't you know it is impolite to ask a lady how old she is?". Third, pretending to think about this question for a while and then say "Hmmm, it is a secret." One of my beautiful Chinese friend told these. She said that these were very effective. Maybe, you can have a try.

Why are Chinese curious about ladies' ages? Anyone can tell me why?
Jul 18, 2008 19:51
GUEST25599 its not just Chinse, i am Canadian, everyone is nosy about other's age. especially women.
Jul 18, 2008 23:17
  • CARLOS
Maybe tell your age. Simple, easy, no big deal.

Carlos
Jul 18, 2008 23:31
GUESTMARINE Hi everyone. My name is Ray, from Utica, NY. I will be visiting Poland soon, and I am hoping to meet my Polish relatives. I also hope some people from here may help me in contacting my relatives before my visit. Thanks and looking forward to meeting some great people on here!
Jul 18, 2008 23:41
  • DODGER
I have people ask my age all the time.
I add 10 years.
The response is “wow, you look good for your age”
Dodger.
Jul 19, 2008 01:29
  • DISCOVERY
hey~ I have to say something~ I think that Chinese have chinese ways to thinking.Because there have many environment to change a man ways of thinking.Many Chinese seldom contact western people and western movie so they do not know western ways of thinking or ways of doing. actually in China, When two people wanna know each other,They do not wanna keeping any secret to others,such as salary,age,how many people in your family and area of interest .
Jul 19, 2008 01:40
GUEST59184 ''in China, When two people wanna know each other,They do not wanna keeping any secret to others,such as salary,age,how many people in your family and area of interest . ''

Discovery, guys from FuJian are historically extreme conservative and and defenitly keep the currupt cumtoms - no personal privacy
Jul 19, 2008 04:57
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
I find that it is the same for Men and Women to be asked how old they are. Such as in my situation and my sisters, were always asked how old we are than they proceed to ask if we are married or not. And in most cases, they will have somebody they want you to meet if you are not married. Just my experience as a Chinese kid.
Jul 19, 2008 05:55
  • DISCOVERY
hello GUEST59184 , I am a chinese, I am sorry for I dont get it what your mean for defenitly keep the currupt cumtoms - no personal privacy .i am different than majority chinese. I am open mind not a consevative man. I have aways keeping myself been to learning western ways of think and doing.
Jul 20, 2008 20:40
  • JIMMYB
Danny, it is quite normal. I have been upset by this question for a while. My dady and mom has warned me they will introduce girls to me if I fail to find one by the end of this year. Some of my relatives ask me how old I am too. When I tell them, they just say "it is time to get married now." Actually, I am still young.
Jul 31, 2008 06:25
GUEST41217 Do westerners (Europeans or Americans) look "old" to the Chinese? We think that Chinese look very young. So I wonder if the reverse is true?
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why are Chinese curious about ladies' ages?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code