Menu
Why are Chinese curious about ladies' ages?
Jul 31, 2008 21:03
  • KATRINA
Do westerners (Europeans or Americans) look "old" to the Chinese?

Well, it is hard to tell. You see, Chinese people can ask each other "how old are you" directly. However, age is a privacy to the westerners.
Aug 2, 2008 03:48
  • SONIA1985
Dodger. ...you are funny,,but that s a good way...
Aug 2, 2008 03:57
  • SONIA1985
DESTRUCKDOZ,it's ture, lot of people always asked how old we are then they proceed to ask if we are married or not,in my QQ list,there is lot of classmate,everytime they saw me online,they will ask me :"Hey Sonia,Are you married now?"I said :"no,not yet."they will ask:"When will you get married." it made me quite embarrassed \

GUEST41217 ,lot of foreigners said here or there that chinese looks younger than westerners?Is that ture,I feel Chinese young younglings,and chinese elders looks older

JIMMYB ,i have the same problem with you,it also makes me feel upset
Aug 2, 2008 09:07
  • LIONPOWER
Chinese girls has a good news, they can maintain their body shape/construction (naturally) same from 15- 35 years. We called it 'God gift".
Aug 10, 2008 18:38
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Haha it seems all of us 23yr olds, Chinese and single have the same problem.
Aug 10, 2008 21:32
  • CHERRY07
"GUEST41217 ,lot of foreigners said here or there that chinese looks younger than westerners?Is that ture,I feel Chinese young younglings,and chinese elders looks older."

Hmm, at least you looks so young, Sonia. From your appearance, I can't guess that you are 23 years old. I thought you were a high school student. By the way, it seems that your classmates care about you very much. They are eager to hear good news from you. Are they all married? If not, you shouldn't feel upset when they raising such a question because they are the same as you.
Aug 12, 2008 14:52
  • CLOUDHANDS
People in Korea ask first thing when being introduced: , "How old are you?" It is to determine how to treat someone in terms of their rank, and how you are expected to treat the other person. ( things like who pays in the restaurant, who helps who etc) Young people there look younger, and old people look older- both are revered. But if you are middle aged- eh! Not so good. I had a very hard time answering my age because of this predisposition against middle aged women. ( "old maid" syndrome, similar to past generations' attitudes here in the USA) I would usually say something like " it is a secret." or "in my culture we don't talk about that because it is considered very embarassing."
Aug 12, 2008 22:37
  • KATRINA
In China, asking a girl's age is as common as "你吃了吗? Have you eaten your breakfast/lunch/supper?" They don't think that age is a secret. However, some girls will feel embarrassed to answer this question.
Aug 19, 2008 15:49
GUEST22670 Pretty hard to answer, Are you talking about ethnicity or nationality? There is actually a difference between nationality and ethnicity. In some cases yes, in some cases no. Every culture has some people who are pick about ages and others don't really care. There is no religious rule in any religion about dating somebody older than you.
Aug 24, 2008 14:43
GUEST36131 The Chinese do not have the same inhibitions as westerners in relation to personal questions. It is a cultural difference. They will also read your newspaper with you and even stare at documents you have opened in public.Their first three questions are usually where are you from, how old are you and how much do you earn.The first two you can answer without too much embarrassment and the third is easily evaded.The really strange part is that some of them do not like being asked these questions themselves. It seems that they see inquisitiveness as a one way process and if you ever do business with the Chinese you will also come up against one way thinking i.e. you commit yourself but they will keep their options open.Do not expect Chinese to think or act exactly like westerners.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why are Chinese curious about ladies' ages?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code