Menu
Why not all the wealthy marry belles?
Jul 28, 2008 03:05
  • SUMMERSNOW
Jane Austin said, ‘it is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.’

Are all the weathy men’s wives belles? On the contrary, a great number of rich men’s wives are not belles. Why? A popular explanation is that God is fair. He endowed belles with beautiful outer appearance and meanwhile spoiled the beautiful girls. Beautiful girls are flattered by people around them from their childhood to adulthood. Beautiful girls thought that they have an inborn advantage (beauty) over other homely-looking girls. They thought that they don’t have to work hard at school and at workplace. Whereas, the not-so-beautiful girls understand that they don’t have inborn advantage. They know that they can change their destiny only through studying hard at school and working hard at workplaces to make up the so-called disadvantage (homely looking). Finally, they surpassed the belles and won over the wealthy men’s hearty by their charm and temperament.(cultured manners).
Do you agree with the explanation?

A question for men: why do wealthy men choose to marry not-so-beautiful women?
Another for women: do you think how a belle can marry a wealthy man?
Jul 30, 2008 21:05
  • SHESGOTTOBE
In cases where love is not a prerequisite for marriage but that bloodline and status are major considerations, he will most likely marry a woman of noble birth or high status even though she is not a looker so he will/can maintain/elevate his standing in the society (whatever). He can always have his harem of beautiful women/concubines on the side even if he is married, anyway.

On the other hand, there are also wealthy men who go for the model material because they can. Check out the wife of Donald Trump. Then there are also wise men who don’t go for looks but for what a potential mate can bring into his life.
Jul 31, 2008 04:25
  • AL32
I'm back!

wow! what a topic - where to start!?!

I guess that once again, we're trying to put all the eggs in the same basket here; generalize on people's behavior..
the whole topic reminds be the 'dumb blond' "cliché" in the Western world: beautiful, but no brain...

But if we take a step back and think about it, which women do you or can you call belles? What is the proportion of women you would consider belles? Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I have a friend that used to say that he likes women; all of them!!
I know that beauty of my woman is not that important to me; as long as there is a chemistry and true friendship; looks come after. And when you truely love, she will always be the most beautiful to you. And I believe that I'm not such an exception; many think like me. I would even go as far as saying that I'm convinced that the woman's beauty or appearance is more important to women than it really is for man. I also know that beauty definition varies a lot from a person to another; I showed my gf's picture to a Chinese guy before and he did not like her and when he showed me his, well I did not like her either!!

I think that to make a short answer, I would say this: the "beauties" that you refer too, are generally not representing the majorities of the population; they are often 'standards' of beauty that everyone would agree to be beautiful. The fact that a rich man go and marry a 'normal' looking woman just prove that there is more than look for men. And yes, a clever girl is often more attractive than a very beautiful and dumb one.

And as far as She's comment, I don't know.. I might not be rich enough hehe!.. which men she's refering too, but I don't agree with the bloodline, noble status or elevating his society standard are that much preocupation in their mind. I could also give examples of rich and successful men that have very 'normal' looking wifes and without all those special pedigree attributes...

As far as the harem on the side..., I will not go there either...
Boy that men have a bad reputation in women's mind..! Ok, maybe many are bad, but not all of them... ;-P

Aug 20, 2008 17:57
  • REMAG1234
The short answer is this: Money is Power. Women want to marry Power, look at some of the beautiful women who marry plain or ugly older men, but those men have Power. The men marry young beautiful women because of EGO. It's an ego trip being an older man to have a beautiful woman on your arm. Now wasn't that simple?
Aug 21, 2008 23:55
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
I agree with Remag.
Aug 23, 2008 00:26
  • SONIA1985
A question for men: why do wealthy men choose to marry not-so-beautiful women?

I am wonder why wealthy men must choose to marry a bautiful woman?while we wanna comment on a woman,we didn't define her just by beautiful or ugly,but also by words like:kind,friendly,sincere,rightforward,talktive,quite,talent,intelligent,lovely,crazy,cordial,sensitive ..etc..beauty is not the biggest advantage/virtue of a woman.

wealthy man is nothing more than a man who is rich.why should him takes beauty as the biggest advantage/virtue of a woman while other doesn't?

Another for women: do you think how a belle can marry a wealthy man? I am also wondering why belle must be marry a wealthy man,is that wealthy is the biggest advantage/virtue of a man?some belle like handsome man,some belle like getntle man,some belle like crazy man,some belle like a man with big power/control,some belle like talent man...wealthy man doesn't means he has all those advantage/virtue,he only has advantage in the aspect of money
Aug 24, 2008 21:52
  • SUMMERSNOW
Sonia, I think REMAG1234 has answered part of your question. Money is power. Money and power are interdependent. A weathy man is powerful by virtue of his money. A man who has power can obtain more money by virtue of his power.
Aug 24, 2008 23:21
  • SHESGOTTOBE
OMG! Eureka! This is the answer I need! I need a man with POWER!!!!

Hello, Superman?

Your power is good but I need cash. :P
Aug 25, 2008 12:25
  • DOMECRUIZE
Hi Summersnow....

This topic is somewhat true in reality. There are many traits of people. For those wealthy man in a good career and good family background, most of them looking for their life partner based on the skills, knowledge, and achievements....Because such skills, knowledge, and achievements are permanent...However, good in appearance will not be long lasting...
Therefore, the belles can win the men's heart
Aug 25, 2008 21:30
  • LEONARDO
The wealthy men are smart and good at investing. To some rich men, marrying a wife is a kind of investment. A clever girl will help the weathy man manage his wealth and help him make bigger success in his cause and career. Beautiful appearance will wither as time goes by. Marrying a beautiful blond is a “depreciating investment’. To some extent, outward beauty is somewhat self-depreciating as time goes by. The wealthy businessmen don’t want to lose money in business.
Oct 8, 2008 09:44
GUESTTRUDY The real question is which is more powerful LOVE OR SEX?

For a man SEX is more powerful than Love. A man might love his wife and children and have a great home life but he would gamble it all away to sleep with the beautiful blonde. Eventually his desire to have the beautiful blonde with blind his judgment and make the Love he feels for his wife and children irrelevant. He won't stop loving his wife and children but SEX will always win out over Love.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why not all the wealthy marry belles?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code