Menu
Will the olympics be a success?
Jul 29, 2008 05:51
  • DAVEC
What do you think about the olympics, will it be a great success or will others come to China and be disappointed?

The reason I ask is that here in UK the newspaper are making big stories about the smog in Beijing and showing plenty of photos.
They claim that tourist numbers are down 20% in Beijing compaired to last year. I find that strange with whats going on or maybe people are just avoiding Beijing whilst its on and going to quiter places.
Jul 29, 2008 22:19
  • DODGER
I read the report about the so called smog. If anyone has seen smog, and I doubt it, they would know that what happened the other day was just a heavy mist. Most probably coursed by high levels of humidity.
There was a big storm the next day followed by wind. The sky is now clear and blue!
Beijing is at the moment a huge building site with construction going on just about anywhere that you look.. Just across from where I live is a building site that must be at least 2 mils long as an example.
My opinion is that what is referred to as pollution is in fact dust and sand. The City is on a flat plain and the wind blows this stuff in. So to a great extent much of this alleged pollution is unavoidable.
I also see very few old bangers on the road. Far less than you would see in Oz.
I was in Atlanta a couple of weeks before that City hosted their games. The preparations here appear to be a lot more on schedule.
From the people that I talk too here there is also a great deal of excitement and enthusiasm.
Truck loads of Volunteers can also be seen moving from venue to venue rehearsing.
So my two bobs worth says that it will be a huge success for Beijing and China and will surprise the skeptics.
From the desk of “Dodger of Beijing”
Jul 29, 2008 23:12
  • BBQQ
As a Chinese, I wish the Olympic Games could be a success. You see, China authority and its people have been preparing for the Olympics for so long. They should be rewarded with a success.
Jul 30, 2008 23:12
  • GRIZ326
I hope the Olympic Games are a smash hit! Unfortunately, I feel there will be many opportunities to slam China. Most countries have forgotten the trials and tribulations it took to move past the problems of early modernization.
Jul 31, 2008 01:50
  • FORREST26
As i Brit myself, i think the British newspapers should hold off with the negative press for Beijing. I am sure the games will be be well organised and a success. Lets see how we do in 4 years time in London, which is bound to be late and massively over budget.
Jul 31, 2008 11:02
  • DAVEC
I have seen and heard of many people volunteering to help with the olympics. Many more have missed out as there were too many applied.

This will not happen here in UK in 4 years time as the people here will be asking ' how much do I get paid?'
Jul 31, 2008 20:02
  • JIMMYB
Dave, China has a large population so that it is no surprise that so many people apply to be the volunteers. Another reason is that they can take this opportunity to watch the matches lively. This will be the unforgettable experience in their lives. By the way, it is said that Chinese volunteers get no payment when they help with the Olympics.
Aug 3, 2008 22:30
  • SONIA1985
I would like to go to Beijing to watch the matches lively,but unfortunately it is so hard to get the ticket and the ticket are quite expensive.I hope it wil have an successful ending ,but i am afraid of the terrorist.
Aug 4, 2008 03:37
  • APAULT
Sure it will be a success. Maybe tourist numbers are down, but with the tight visa restrictions that is not surprising!. The authorities are not concerned. Businesses can suffer provided the OG are a success. That is the political choice of the country's leaders - fair enough.

Aug 4, 2008 10:08
  • LIONPOWER
Chinese security too strong, so we did not afraid about terrorist. Wishing best success of Olympic.
Aug 4, 2008 21:52
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I think it is years too late to be concerned about the smog now that it is barely 4 days to the Olympics. I don’t see how smog can stop the Olympics. Olympics is not about the smog nor China. I pray for its success because Beijing’s success is the whole world’s success. Here's hoping for the successful One World, One Dream! ^_^
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Will the olympics be a success?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code