Menu
Did USA really land on the moon?
Jul 30, 2008 03:41
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Was Apollo the first man landing on the moon?I read an article about the question. IIt says that the moon-landing could be fake. The videotape showing the flying American national flag was fake since there is no air on the moon. How could a flag float in an vacuum?

Jul 30, 2008 05:19
  • YINDUFFY
It was mentioned at the time that the flag would have a support running down it's length to hold it up so that it would not just hang limp. In this and other photos you can see there is a rod or brace along the top edge.
I personally believe that the Apollo space program put several people on the moon. I knew people who worked on the Lunar Module at Grumman at that time. Everything was carefully done to ensure a safe trip and a return of our Astronauts. We had the technology and we used it. I was one who was disappointed in the ending of the Lunar program.
If there were a hoax, I would like it revealed.
Jul 30, 2008 05:30
  • WCTMAN
I think that the Mission Control guys knew a little bit about gravity, and so, yes, they created a flag that, when unfurled, would "stand up" as if in the breeze. Apollo put 12 men on the moon, the last in 1972, and these flights were Apollo 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 17.
Jul 30, 2008 15:36
  • DAVEC
My opinion. The Americans landed on the moon but not when they said. There was obviously a huge amount of pressure to do it before the Russians so I believe the first landing was faked. I have seen an original slide taken from the 'moon' trip and agree with others that it was staged.
Jul 30, 2008 18:14
  • WCTMAN
Sure, the Russians were in space too, and yes, landing on the moon was part of the Cold War. But, the Russians had not as yet orbited the moon as trial runs to a landing, while the Apollo program had done so with Apollo 8, 9 and 10. The Americans were far ahead in the "race", and had no reason to fake it.

Thousands of people and billions of dollars were involved. How do you keep this thing a secret? And, they did it on national / worldwide television. Exposure of this "secret" would have destroyed American technological credibility for all time. Sorry, I can't even entertain the idea that the landing was staged.
Jul 30, 2008 21:52
  • BARONTWANGLE
A few years ago when I was working for a large media company in London, I was invited to an Omega PR event at the London Science Museum. The guest of honour was Eugene Cernan (Apollo 10 and 17). Somehow, out of 300 people, I ended up sitting next to him on the top table for dinner. About a month prior to this, there had been a well respected documentary on British TV asking whether the moon landings had been staged? I didn't tell Eugene I had seen this, but bought up a few doubts which had been raised as a result of seeing it. He told many amazing stories about his NASA trips, and I sat there captivated for a couple of hours, surrounded by scientists (who know a hell of a lot more about space than I do), and I don't think there was anyone among us who would have doubted a word he said. The stuff he came out with simply couldn't be made up. I remember getting back in my car with my colleague afterwards, and we both sat there in total silence thinking about the stories we had heard. After what seemed like several minutes, we both turned to each other and said "That man went to the Moon". I have no doubts at all.

However! I also know 100% that many of the photos (supposedly taken by the astronauts on hasselblad cameras) are not real. They have been either staged back on Earth, or seriously manipulated. Given that we are talking about film and darkrooms here, manipulation would have been extremely limited, so I would say they were totally staged in top secret Nevada Military bases, or even NASA photographic studios built especially for the purpose. The reason? Well this is only my theory and I have no evidence.... When Apollo 11 came back from landing on the Moon, they processed the film from the cameras, and found that there was nothing on them due to radiation fogging which had occured on the journey (both prior and post exposure). Obviously this would have caused immense embarrassment for not only NASA but the USA, as they had no evidence they had landed on the moon. So rather than admit the truth, they staged the photos. Many photographic experts have always wondered how those images are so clear, given the radiation which the film would have been subject to. The Hasselblad cameras were not modified in regards to protecting against gamma rays, so it is highly unlikely (some say impossible) that the film would have survived to reveal the clear images we all know.

Another element which has always bothered me is that we have telescopes (well the US and Japan do) powerful enough to see the lunar landing sites of the Apollo missions. So why have we never seen images of the Rover buggy still parked on the Moon? Why have we never seen the US flag still flapping in the non existent wind? I think the reason is not because they don't exist, but because they will contradict the images which have been staged.

One day we will find out the truth, and I don't think we will have to wait too much longer.
Jul 30, 2008 22:33
  • JCNILE123
Baron, a very strong and educated argument...
Jul 30, 2008 23:09
  • GRIZ326
Of all of the things in the world to doubt, the lunar landing is pretty low priority.
Jul 31, 2008 01:13
  • BARONTWANGLE
Griz - If the Lunar landings were proved to be false, then it would surely be the biggest world lie in modern history, and the fallout would be enormous. What doubts would you suggest we discuss which would be of higher priority?
Aug 1, 2008 10:41
  • GRIZ326
We could start with Global Warming.
Aug 1, 2008 22:51
  • BARONTWANGLE
Global Warming is a theory. Landing on the Moon is historical fact (so we are led to believe). The two are very different. Doubting Global Warming is no different to doubting Darwinism or Ghosts - they are all a matter of personal opinion without hard evidence, so by definition cannot be a lie. Doubting the moon landing(s) is like doubting the Titanic sank, JFK was shot by LHO, or that 911 was an Al Qaeda attack - we only have what we hear from the media to base our conclusions on, so if they didn't happen then we have been lied to. I think that matters, and is worthy of discussion.
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Did USA really land on the moon?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code