Menu
chopsticks
Aug 8, 2008 10:24
guest93217 Going to China in a few weeks for holiday. I love chinese food, i also love the chinese people and am looking forward to my visit. My problem is i can,t seem to get the hang of using chopsticks, i have tried many times but they don,t work for me. Of course i will try again when in China, a friend has told me that restuarants i n China only supply chopsticks and that knives and forks are taboo. I don,t want to offend anybody and if this is true i will just have to manage best i can, any one else had this problem.
Aug 9, 2008 06:33
GUEST12820 Wish you enjoy your stay in China and have great fun here. If chopsticks is a problem for you, I suggest you to bring a portable fork with you just in case and this is also very healthy. It's not a rare case to bring portable chopstickers when Chinese are traveling around.
Anyway, wish you keep practice with the chopstickers:)
Aug 9, 2008 09:14
  • GRIZ326
I am a constant source of entertainment to my Chinese friends and family. :-)

Another benefit of being a chopsticks comedian is it helps you lose weight. :-)

As for knives and forks, they are available in almost every restaurant. If you are concerned you can purchase really durable and light utensils at any camping supply store.

I truly doubt the Chinese are offended by a traveler eating with western utensils; if they are...it's probably because you denied them a good laugh! :-)
Aug 10, 2008 07:24
GUEST93219 Thanks for your replies, i feel much better now.
Aug 14, 2008 01:24
  • DAVEC
I can use chopsticks very well, like everything its practice but I think they are easy.

It is possible to buy some in shops that have the ends joined so they are much easier to use, they are usually plasticy. Great for a beginner and good to break the ice when you get them out at the meal table.
Aug 14, 2008 22:17
  • JIMMYB
Dave, how much time did you spend to learn to use chopsticks? As far as I know, many foreigners felt it was hard to use chopsticks.
Aug 17, 2008 01:13
  • JABAROOTOO
I practised at every meal.

Food either went into my mouth, onto the table or the floor. It took a little while but it really isn't too hard.

Chinese kids are not good with them until they are five or six or even more just like our kids struggle with a knife and fork until that age too.

If you want to loose weight but once you master the 'sticks' you could pile it on again.

Just persevere and take a fork with you so when you get stuck you can whip it out and use it.
Aug 17, 2008 12:10
No wonder I keep losing weight when I'm in china!
I'm getting better at using chopsticks, but Jing would ask for a knife and fork if I was struggling too much, there is only one way to learm and that is to practice,
I took my daughter for a meal in Chinatown, London last week and she couldn't use them either so she used her spoon ( provided ) where as I carried and used my chopsticks witout too much bother.
I might buy some chopsticks so that I can practice at home and impress Jing with my skills.
Alan
Aug 22, 2008 16:18
  • DAVEC
Jimmy, I picked up my first pair and withing an hour or 2 I found them easier to use than knife and fork.
Aug 24, 2008 10:59
  • YINDUFFY
Don't worry. Chinese people often drop their food when using chopsticks too. Especially when they have to hold it to bite meat off a bone fragment.
Most mid-size to larger restaurants will have at least a fork to loan you. However, I have made it a practice in traveling in the U.S. as well as overseas to pack several sets of plastic utensils. Sometimes it can be relaxing to bring some food or snacks back to my hotel room and eat while watching TV. My wife like to visit a local supermarket and bring watermelon or fruit back to our room. We usually pack plastic bowls too.
It is easy enough for her to put a set of utensils in her purse for me if needed ( and I often did) when in China.
Aug 24, 2008 21:17
  • JULIEWONG
Yes don't feel so bad , there are also lots of Chinese who has difficulty in using chopsticks especially those who were brought up out of China and bringing your own disposable fork and spoon aint gonna offend no one I can vouch for that in China ^_^
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: chopsticks
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code