Menu
chopsticks
Aug 24, 2008 22:02
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I am very, very, very bad in using chopsticks. I can use them for bigger pieces but I can never pick up peas with them. It doesn't bother me but I think the people around me are more bothered by it. In my experience, even big restaurants in Beijing don't carry table spoons. Whenever I ask for a spoon, they give me a serving spoon or a soup spoon. LOL!
Aug 26, 2008 21:53
  • BBQQ
SHE, you need more practice, hehe. Using chopsticks can make you more flexible. One of my friends is left-handed. When eating, he uses the chopsticks with his left hand. Now, he learns to use the chopsticks with his right hand. He told me that it was good for his brain.
Aug 29, 2008 23:43
  • ROBERTL
I was only in china 3 weeks and I could do pretty good with them had never had them in my hand before but look how chinese eat rice with them they don't pick it up they shovel it over the edge of bowl watch and learn
Sep 1, 2008 20:16
  • CHERRY07
"In my experience, even big restaurants in Beijing don't carry table spoons. Whenever I ask for a spoon, they give me a serving spoon or a soup spoon. LOL! "

SHE, what's the difference of the tablespoon, the serving spoon and the soup spoon? I have read many recipes made by ICEBERG. He (or a girl?) mentioned tablespoon many times. But I don't know what it looks like. As for me, I just use the spoon and don't know it is a tablespoon, a serving spoon or a soup spoon.
Sep 1, 2008 20:22
  • CHERRY07
Robertl, you are very clever. Can you pick up peas or peanuts with the chopsticks? You are right, we don't use chopsticks to pick up rice but shovel it over the edge of the bowl and then transport it to our mouths. Why not pick up the rice? Because it is in form of grains. If we pick it up one by one, I don't know how long it will take to finish the meal.
Sep 1, 2008 21:02
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"SHE, what's the difference of the tablespoon, the serving spoon and the soup spoon? I have read many recipes made by ICEBERG. He (or a girl?) mentioned tablespoon many times. But I don't know what it looks like. As for me, I just use the spoon and don't know it is a tablespoon, a serving spoon or a soup spoon."

Cherry, a tablespoon is the usual dinner spoon, people usually use this when dining. A serving spoon is a big version of the tablepoon. It will be too big to use it for eating. It is used for getting the food from the common plate and putting it on your own plate, that's why it is called serving spoon. A soup spoon is the one that most Chinese usually use for soups. I think it is usually made of ceramics or porcelain. There is another spoon which is called teapoon. It is usually used for stirring tea, coffee and other hot beverages.
Sep 1, 2008 21:19
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Basically the main difference is the size. Even the serving utensils for cake and salads are different.

Left: flatware for servingcakes
Right: common serving spoon for main courses

Sep 1, 2008 21:20
  • SHESGOTTOBE
About the two spoons on the right:

The smaller one is the teaspoon. The bigger one is the tablespoon.

Sep 1, 2008 21:25
  • SHESGOTTOBE
The Chinese ceramic soup spoon as we call it.

Sep 4, 2008 04:45
  • CHERRY07
Great! SHESGOTTOBE. Now I know the differences. Thank you so much. For me, I use serving spoon, tablespoon and ceramic soup spoon to eat porridge. No difference.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: chopsticks
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code