Menu
Will London Olympic opening ceremony overtake Beijing?
Aug 12, 2008 03:52
The most eargerly anticipated Beijing Olympic Opening Ceremony received worldwide praise. British people begin to worry about the 2012 London Olympic Games Opening Ceremony. At the Opening Ceremony, China presents its culture for 5,000 years in a spectacular way. What and how will UK present to the world in 2012? London’s Olympic officials are scratching their head. An official of the 2012 London Olympic Organizing Committee has confessed that London Olympics are highly unlikely to match the Beijing Olympic Opening Ceremony. The Modern UK seems to have few noteworthy cultural achievements to show off to the rest of the world. Will London show Hip-hop, breakdancing, Victoria Beckham to the rest of the world in 2012?
Aug 12, 2008 08:03
GUEST54109 Show Victoria Beckham to the rest of the world? Isn't that comment a bit condescending? Posts like these are just fishing for compliments. There is no need for London to overtake Beijing. Showing off is not the essence of Olympics.
Aug 12, 2008 12:41
  • JSUMMERS83
BE CAREFUL! This is the one thing I hope that most Chinese can avoid as a result of these Olympics. You have much to be proud of in how these Olympics were presented, especially with the Opening Ceremony. No one in the world can deny how beautiful it was and how smoothly the Games seem to be going. HOWEVER...

Pride is a good thing - arrogance and put-downs, not so much.

London will put on a great Olympics, even if they can't match the billions of dollars spent by the Chinese government and it will make me very sad if I see any Chinese sitting in front of a TV in 2012 laughing and mocking another country's attempt at hosting the great Olympic Games. As I said...please be careful.
Aug 12, 2008 12:43
  • JSUMMERS83
By the way...even as an American I know that there is plenty of cultural and historical "achievements" that London has to offer this world. Anyone who has been there knows that for a fact.
Aug 12, 2008 17:57
  • BARONTWANGLE
I am British, and I agree that London will be a big anticlimax after Beijing. If recent projects are anything to go by, the London Olympic planning will be way over budget, and behind schedule within a year. About a year before the opening, someone will decide that they are so over budget that they have no money to spend on an opening ceremony, and as a result we'll probably have an obscure member of the royal family cutting a ribbon to officially open the games, as a single firework gets lit somewhere over the stadium.

London have already decided they are not going to do a torch relay. See - they are already finding ways to save money.

The UK media have been dong their best to dampen the Beijing Olympics. The reason for this is because they know they need to play it down, and find every fault they can with it. So I think it is only fair for the rest of the world to laugh at the UK when it puts on a budget version in 4 years time.
Aug 12, 2008 18:11
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Wow... I don't know what to say.... the tone of the original post is far from being humble. More like mocking London for having Victoria Beckham. *shakes head*

I am proud of my Chinese friends because they are some of the best people I've known. I hope they don't change just because of the Olympics.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." ~~ Abraham Lincoln
Aug 13, 2008 04:22
GUEST1757 To GUEST54109,
"There is no need for London to overtake Beijing. Showing off is not the essence of Olympics. "

It is not a matter of showing off. If you really have the greatness, why not present it to the world? All the host countries of the past Olympics tried their best to demonstrate their best to the world, didn't they?
Aug 13, 2008 08:12
  • DODGER
I can visualize Bodica on her chariot entering the stadium followed by Druids, followed by Vikings, followed by the Normans and then a huge effigy of Winston Churchill with his two fingered salute and at last the finally…..the Morris Dancers with two bobs worth of fireworks.
It has to be over before ten so we can all have a last pint before bedtime though.
I’m not sure where the Pearly King and Queen would fit into this, but give me a couple of million quid and I’m sure I could work it out.
Cheers, Dodger.

PS. Completely forgot about Drake and the Spanish stuff..
Aug 13, 2008 20:40
  • LEONARDO
UK also has a long history and rich cultural existence. London has ever hosted Olympics in 1908 and 1944. I don't know what were the two opening ceremonies like. UK probably will display the invention of steam engine and other achievements in Industrial Revolution. The glory of British Empire in colonial era is also noteworthy.
Aug 14, 2008 01:59
  • BARONTWANGLE
Maybe they can just replay the recording of the 1944 opening ceremony and see if anyone notices!
Aug 14, 2008 02:38
  • DODGER
Funny one Baron. I heard it was a little noisy and the firework display was the most authentic yet..ha
Dodger.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Will London Olympic opening ceremony overtake Beijing?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code