Menu
Will London Olympic opening ceremony overtake Beijing?
Aug 14, 2008 04:51
GUEST47124 no, you wont lose your chinese friends, JSUMMERS83. I feel happy for my country rather than proud and arrogant. I also feel sorry for the unfair system beneath the appearance, especially for the synch singer, both girls. I will sacrifice some of the grandness for fairness and humanity. I think most of chinese people will agree with me. Looking forward to the London Olympic opening ceremony.
Aug 14, 2008 15:26
  • JSUMMERS83
Baron...dude, I really think you need to grow some pride in your own country. It's sad.

If you measure the success of the Olympics in dollars and pounds then you lose the spirit of it all and come awfully close to getting yourself an honorary placement on the IOC Board of Directors!
Aug 14, 2008 20:02
  • MARRIE
UK as modern civilization forerunner has as much as China to present the world, including world wide colonial history (neutrual word from economic development point of view)
Aug 14, 2008 20:50
  • LEONARDO
>>Maybe they can just replay the recording of the 1944 opening ceremony and see if anyone notices! <<

LOL! It's funny! Baron. Sorry, BARONTWA., I forgot that the 1944 Summer Olympics were cancelled due to World War II. It's my fault. ^_^ So UK can not replay the recording of 1944 opening creremony. Hmmm, however, UK can replay the recording of 1948 Summer Olympics. Due to the cancellation, London went on to host the 1948 Summer Olympics, awarded without election. It was the first Olympics hosted after WWII. UK's economy was serevely damaged. It might also be a low-budget opening ceremony!

Aug 15, 2008 01:53
  • BARONTWANGLE
It'll still be better than the crap they will try to put on in 2012. Just you wait and see!

Jsumers83 - Dude! I have no pride for my country when it comes to organising such epic events, because to be quite honest, we are terrible at it. I have plenty of pride in other areas, but event organisation, stadium construction, farming, swimming, gymnastics, or keeping things simples are not among them.

Also, do you really think London wanted the Olympics for any other reason than economy?! If so, you are clearly very gullible. The Olympics is a business, not just a sporting event. If the UK wanted just a good old fashioned sporting event, then they should bring back "It's a knockout"!
Aug 18, 2008 23:04
GUEST1367 It is better not let Jordan and Victoria Beckham to take part in the Olympic Opening Ceremony in 2012. They set a bad example for school girls. London's opening ceremony would be a big lapse after Beijing.
Aug 19, 2008 07:27
GUEST54109 Olympics is business and a time to show off which is why nations want to host it. Sporting events are just secondary.
Aug 20, 2008 17:30
  • REMAG1234
I will wager that no country will be able to equal the opening ceremony of the 2008 Olympics.
Aug 24, 2008 10:42
GUEST60251 Well for those who think that talking about money is not in the spirit of the Olympics - get real. The Olympic games fuel business plain and simple.

Whoever says it's not about showing off - think again. The Olympic games have always been politically charged and filled with one-up-manship.

In saying that the London Olympics will unfortunately be a big let down. As an English man I can say that the Great in GB has paled, unless of course you class chav culture as great.

Visitors to the Olympics will be shocked to see the real Britain and the real London. My wife is foreign (oriental) and was in shock when she first came here. She was expecting polite and well behaved honest people as many foreigners still think we are like ("a land of ladies and gentlemen"). All she experienced was racist abuse and aggression.

As for the opening ceremony - we're skint as a country. How can we compete with the country who will soon be the richest and powerful in the world.

The only thing that will compare is with China's communist ideology and Gordan Brown's Stalanist control.

After seeing the Opening ceremony two weeks ago, I think that 2012 are the games all other countries are glad not to be hosting.
Aug 25, 2008 19:59
GUEST17252 HOWDIE

Im not worried about China showing us up or whatever because they were amazing and no country could beat that probally. But im worried that will we have a cheesy show because i liked the part of the umbrellas being lit up and Jimmy page etc but i didnt like the begining with the people on the street or w/e. i really hope we dont have sumthin stupid.

I have lots of Ideas about What we could do. We could have a dance where it start with people forming the world with lights on them. Then each country stands up one by one and the do and show or dance with a theme and then it moves on etc..... and at the end sum1 famous ( i think the queen would b classic) flicks a domino which flicks others and forms the olymipics rings and world. The fireworks etc.

Yes england does have culture but tbh do u want people dressed up as King Henry etc dancing around i no i dnt. And we have alot of history too but do other countrys want to watch wars being re acted NO!

i hope its just looks amazing and is really clever not cheesy and doesnt put england too shame.

Post other things which ur ideas for wat they could do XD
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Will London Olympic opening ceremony overtake Beijing?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code