Menu
Will the visa conditions change soon?
Aug 14, 2008 10:47
  • DAVEC
Does anyone know if the conditions will be relaxed anytime soon?
I am used to paying my money with 1 form and photo.
Yesterday I was told 2 forms,photo,considerably more money, copy of flight details,copy of hotel bookings, copy of friends ID card and passport for those I am staying with.

With my travelling around I cant always give hotel details because I might decide to stay a day or 2 longer or leave earlier.

I understand the olympics has caused problems but will it change back soon?
Aug 14, 2008 13:17
  • LIONPOWER
May be changed after Olympic.
Aug 14, 2008 21:26
  • JIMMYB
I guess that it will be normal until September 20th when the paralympic games is over.
Aug 15, 2008 01:41
  • BARONTWANGLE
Dave. Don't complicate things by saying you will stay with friends. The more complicated you make your application, the more things they will ask you for. All you will need is entry and exit documents (flight bookings), and hotel accommodation for your stay. All you need is an email from a hostel or hotel. The best thing to do is book an expensive hotel on expedia.com which offers a full refund if cancelled before a certain time. Then you just need to book it, print out the confirmation email, and then cancel it again.

What is "considerably more money"? As far as I know, the fees haven't changed. You will notice that the exchange rate has dived since your last trip. You'll be looking at about 12 yuan to the pound at present. It's forecast to go lower.
Aug 15, 2008 16:43
  • DAVEC
Last trip I paid £55 for my visa, the people I use now want an extra 50.
You are right about the exchange rate, it is plummiting down at an alarming rate.

I think I am going to cancel my trip and look at coming again in the new year, hopefully things will have settled down.
Aug 16, 2008 11:24
  • BARONTWANGLE
As far as I know the visa charge is £30 for a single entry L. There are many agencies who charge $15 - £20 for a drop and collect service. However, I am not sure the agencies can do multiple applications now, as the new UK visa office only accepts single applications with appointment. Can't you go to do it yourself?
Aug 25, 2008 12:49
  • DAVEC
The visa office is in london, even at cheap rate train will cost me £30 and thats for a drop off and return another day service.
I tend to send it by post and just pay a little to the agents. Its cheaper.
Aug 26, 2008 08:52
  • APAULT
No Dave, the exchange rate is changing beautifully - maybe I can afford to eat next time I visit Britain!
Aug 26, 2008 20:36
  • BARONTWANGLE
Paul - don't count on it - food prices in the UK have gone up 30% since last year - the exchange rate has only changed by 20%. You will still find it 10% more expensive! haha
Aug 29, 2008 03:33
  • APAULT
Back to the Visa issue

I have just heard from an old friend who is recruiting foreign teachers for a language centre in Guangdong. he says that the HK visa office is already issuing 2 month tourist visas without hotel reservations. Can anyone confirm this?
Sep 1, 2008 23:31
  • FAERIEQUEENE
Not the case as of today
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Will the visa conditions change soon?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code